The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 7.6


Above all, however, avoid dismal men who grumble at whatever happens, and find something to complain of in everything. Though he may continue loyal and friendly towards you, still one's peace of mind is destroyed by a comrade whose mind is soured and who meets every incident with a groan.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes complaining to our friends is just a way to help relieve our immediate frustrations. Share the burden with someone you trust and care for, and the weight will suddenly not seem so bad.

Yet I am painfully aware of my own tendency to cross a certain line, where I am no longer seeking comfort and support, but I am rather spouting resentment and vengeance. That line is drawn by my intentions, and expresses itself in the tone of my concerns. Have I merely noted that something is bringing me grief, or am I now demanding that the world live up to my expectations?

The distinction may seem subtle, yet whether I go one way or another makes a world of difference for my moral health. Do I wish to improve my own character, and make myself better and stronger, or am I wallowing in my dislike of my circumstances, consumed by my vanity? The one still comes from love, while the other comes from hatred.

I will shamefully catch myself, on each and every day, thinking or even saying something condescending and dismissive about other people. It comes so readily, because it is so easy to blame the world for my misery, and expect it to fix itself in order to make me happy. I will even grow angry when other people are angry, somehow foolishly thinking that they have no right to burden me with their problems, that they have no right to trample on my sacred privileges.

I cannot be a good friend to others if my thoughts, words, and actions are grounded in any sort of disdain for any of my neighbors. Others cannot be good friends to me if they only encourage me in my arrogance and bitterness. The poison will flow both ways if all we do is use one another as mirrors for our own sense of entitlement.

The vice of complaining calls for a Stoic cure, because it speaks to one of the most fundamental Stoic principles: we are all responsible for ourselves, and for our own happiness. The world will be as it will be, as Providence made it, and the people around me will act as they will act, according to their own sense of right and wrong.

I have no power over Nature, and I have no power over my neighbor’s conscience. I do have power over myself, and if I do wish to affect the world in a good way, let me start by giving of my own love, the only worthy thing I have to give. My requirement to receive should be replaced by my willingness to give.

Whining about the flaws of others is the refuge of someone who is not accountable to himself; I no longer wish to be that sort of person. 

Written in 8/2011


No comments:

Post a Comment