The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, March 23, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 8.10


Of these two propositions let us examine the former: Is it possible for anyone to be a good king unless he is a good man? No, it is not possible. But given a good man, would he not be entitled to be called a philosopher? Most certainly, since philosophy is the pursuit of ideal good. Therefore, a good king is found to be forthwith and of necessity a philosopher also.

Now again that the philosopher is entirely kingly you may understand from this. The attribute of a kingly person is obviously the ability to rule peoples and cities well and to be worthy to govern men.

Well, then, who would be a more capable head of a city or more worthy to govern men than the philosopher? For it behooves him (if he is truly a philosopher) to be intelligent, disciplined, noble-minded, a good judge of what is just and of what is seemly, efficient in putting his plans into effect, patient under hardship.

In addition to this, he should be courageous, fearless, resolute in the face of things apparently disastrous, and besides beneficent, helpful, and humane. Could anyone be found more fit or better able to govern than such a man? No one. Even if he does not have many subjects obedient to him, he is not for that reason less kingly, for it is enough to rule one's friends or one's wife and children or, for that matter, only oneself. 

I will sometimes find myself doubting the wisdom of Stoicism, at precisely those times when I am most entranced by a culture of appearances. Inquiring into Nature will increase my knowledge, while settling for impressions will leave me only with opinion.

I get all confused when I neglect the most basic principles, when I forget who I am and what I am made for in favor of shiny trinkets. I then need to remind myself of the foundation for what is good and bad.

If I am not sure what sort of leader to trust, I ask myself what sort of man is deserving of such trust. Whether he has charm, or cleverness, or riches, or power will make no difference, but whether he has understanding, or self-control, or integrity, or compassion will make all the difference. The good leader will, first and foremost, possess a good character.

If I am not sure what good character is, I ask myself what it ultimately means to be human, and I can work from there. What makes me distinct from other living things is my powers of reason and choice, which are perfected by wisdom and virtue. It is philosophy that nurtures such excellence.

If I am not sure what makes for a philosophical life, I ask myself what qualities of the mind and the will can most encourage me to live well. To be a philosopher has nothing to do with any external trappings, but with an attitude, both deeply profound and eminently practical, that seeks to improve the soul.

A kingly man is a virtuous man, and a virtuous man is a philosopher. The breadth of his rule will not be nearly as important as the depth of his rule, even if he only has an authority over himself.

The best people may not necessarily own much, but they will necessarily love much. The best leaders will not necessarily have the greatest power, but they will necessarily have the greatest wisdom. The best philosophers will not necessarily be the most esteemed, but they will necessarily be the most thoughtful.

Years ago, I recall a smug fellow, perhaps suffering from a bit of jealousy, putting down one of our neighbors for getting elected to city council.

“I mean really, it’s not like he got elected to Congress or anything. He’s nothing special, and the stuff he’s going to do won’t really change the world, will it? So he gets to pass laws about dog licenses and trash pickups! Big deal!”

“I suppose, but he’s always seemed a truly decent fellow over all the years I’ve known him. You couldn’t wish for a more stand-up guy living on your street.”

“Oh, just wait, give him time. He’s bound to get all high and mighty!”

“Well, he still stops to say hello when he walks or drives by, doesn’t he? He never hesitates to help us out when we need something, without any complaining or asking for anything in return. Give me a good neighbor, and a good friend, over a Congressman any day.”

“Okay, but a good politician needs to be so much more than that.”

“Let us agree to disagree, because I think that is exactly what a good politician ought to be.”

Written in 9/1999

No comments:

Post a Comment