The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 7.5


Yet I do not advise you to follow after or draw to yourself no one except a wise man: for where will you find him whom for so many centuries we have sought in vain? In the place of the best possible man take him who is least bad.

You would hardly find any time that would have enabled you to make a happier choice than if you could have sought for a good man from among the Platos and Xenophons and the rest of the produce of the brood of Socrates, or if you had been permitted to choose one from the age of Cato: an age which bore many men worthy to be born in Cato's time (just as it also bore many men worse than were ever known before, planners of the blackest crimes; for it needed both classes in order to make Cato understood: it wanted both good men, that he might win their approbation, and bad men, against whom he could prove his strength).

But at the present day, when there is such a dearth of good men, you must be less squeamish in your choice.

My parents first taught me about finding the mean between extremes, and then I read about it in Aristotle, and then the reality of daily living finally showed me how important it was to seek a realistic balance in all things. To follow Goldilocks, it is important to not have one’s porridge too hot, or too cold, but just right.

The principle applies to choosing friends as much as it does to most anything else in life. Find companions who can help you to be good, and who you can help to be good, and do not settle for too little, or hold out in your expectations for too much.

To bind myself to people lacking in a conscience will only bring me grief, though I will also hinder myself by demanding that my company be absolutely flawless. Only a very few of us can utterly perfect our virtues, and I will likely find myself quite alone if I only dream of friends such as these. Let me follow such a person if I might find him, but let me not shun the fellowship of those who might aspire to be like him.

Not everyone can be a sage or a saint right away, and so many of us will come together, despite all of our flaws, in trying to become better, to perhaps one day be like those sages or saints. A human being is, as long as he lives, going to be a work in progress, with nothing settled for certain while he still has something left to make of himself.

Good friends need to be good people, because otherwise they will be unwilling to both give and receive the gifts of friendship. But I should not be too narrow in who I consider a good person, always recognizing that those who are still struggling in their journey practice virtue in their own ways, as much as those who have come close to its completion.

It is one thing to make a mistake, quite another to insist on not improving from a mistake. It is one thing to be ignorant, quite another to refuse to learn. It is one thing to fall down, quite another to not get up again. Friends will work on these lessons together. The good proceeds through an attitude of support and encouragement, not demanding that others be without blemish from the very beginning. We grow in our perfection, one tiny bit at a time.

If there is no Plato, or Xenophon, or Cato around to lift us up, then those of us with lesser gifts can help life one another up. I don’t know if those were really better times, but, as Seneca says, Providence will make it so that the best of folks will always stand in contrast to the worst of folks. Surely the hope can be that the worst still have it within their power to become the best.

Where circumstances have made it so that I am surrounded by others just as weak as myself, fighting with the same sort of demons, then we will still have the opportunity to practice a friendship of mutual assistance. The good can be in the purity of our intentions, even as we work on the strengths of our habits. 

Written in  8/2011 


No comments:

Post a Comment