The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 8.4


The truth of this statement appears from the fact that men disagree and contend with one another about justice, some saying that it is here, others that it is there.

Yet about things of which men have knowledge there is no difference of opinion, as for example about white and black, or hot and cold, or soft and hard, but all think the same about them and use the same words.

In just the same way they would agree about justice if they knew what it was, but in their very lack of agreement they reveal their ignorance.

Indeed I am inclined to think that you are not far from such ignorance yourself, and you ought therefore more than anyone else to concern yourself with this knowledge, the more disgraceful it is for a king than for a private citizen to be ignorant about justice.

The claim of skepticism, that nothing can really be known, and the claim of relativism, that all opinions are equally true, seem to be quite prevalent among my generation, and so I find that I can hardly have a conversation about any matter of importance without having to confront these bugbears.

I leave aside, for the moment, the fact that these can hardly be consistent statements, as they reduce to the contradictions that it is certain that nothing is certain, and that everything both is and is not the case. No, I wonder what motivation could stand behind the embrace of a model that denies any shared meaning, and thereby removes the possibility of a greater accountability.

Perhaps I have already answered my own question?

If nothing can be known, then there will be no objective foundation for judgments of truth and falsehood, of right and wrong. If anything goes, sound principles will be replaced by mere subjective preferences. I may insist that something is good because I desire it, and I no longer consider that I should desire it because it is good.

It isn’t necessarily that I wish to be unreasonable, but that I do not wish to be responsible to anyone or anything else. It becomes an excuse for convenience over character. When I deny any facts, I no longer have any duties. Now it’s all about me, going on the ultimate ego trip.

I may think this is some sort of freedom, but it is rather a prison of the self. By closing myself to what is real, I have made myself a slave to my passions, to how it feels for only me.

It is ignorance that stands behind the fracturing of the true and the good, and it is wisdom that can restore the unity of things. The philosopher strives to see things are they are, and not simply as he wishes to see them. He then learns that he shares his own nature with all of his fellows, and that we all live in the same world, ordered by a single Nature.

When someone tells me that there is no such thing as virtue, or that justice cannot be defined, it will do me no good to become dismissive or angry. He says this because he has not looked beyond his own impressions, and I can hardly claim to know any better if I do not look beyond my own impressions. What might I do to show him what we have in common, instead of harping on all the differences? If he sees me only demanding what I desire, will it be any wonder that he then thinks of justice only by demanding what he desires?

It is tragic when we see someone deny a standard of giving people their proper due, because he does not distinguish between what is good and bad for all of human nature. It is even more tragic when we see a leader deny such a standard, since his very calling should be to guide us in living together.

Did I just notice Musonius calling out the Syrian king for being a bit confused about what it means to be fair? I do believe I did! Well, we would hardly want a king who is ignorant of justice, who confuses opinion with knowledge, now would we?

Written in 9/1999

No comments:

Post a Comment