The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, November 11, 2019

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.2


What the truth says inwardly without noise of words

1. Speak Lord, for Your servant hears. I am Your servant; O give me understanding that I may know Your testimonies. Incline my heart unto the words of Your mouth. Let Your speech distill as the dew. The children of Israel spoke in old times to Moses, Speak You unto us and we will hear, but let not the Lord speak unto us lest we die. Not thus, O Lord, not thus do I pray, but rather with Samuel the prophet, I beseech You humbly and earnestly, Speak, Lord, for Your servant hears. Let not Moses speak to me, nor any prophet, but rather speak You, O Lord, who did inspire and illuminate all the prophets; for You alone without them can perfectly fill me with knowledge, while they without You shall profit nothing.

2. They can indeed utter words, but they give not the spirit. They speak with exceeding beauty, but when You are silent they kindle not the heart. They give us scriptures, but You make known the sense thereof. They bring us mysteries, but You reveal the things that are signified. They utter commandments, but You help to the fulfilling of them. They show the way, but You give strength for the journey. They act only outwardly, but You do instruct and enlighten the heart. They water, but You give the increase. They cry with words, but You give understanding to the hearer. 

3. Therefore let not Moses speak to me, but You, O Lord my God, Eternal Truth; lest I die and bring forth no fruit, being outwardly admonished, but not enkindled within; lest the word heard but not followed, known but not loved, believed but not obeyed, rise up against me in the judgment. Speak, Lord, for Your servant hears; You have the words of eternal life. Speak unto me for some consolation unto my soul, for the amendment of my whole life, and for the praise and glory and eternal honor of Your Name.


No comments:

Post a Comment