The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy 4.10


“Do you see then in what a slough crimes are involved, and with what glory honesty shines forth? It is plain from this that reward is never lacking to good deeds, nor punishment to crime.

“We may justly say that the reward of every act that is performed is the object for which it is performed. For instance, on the racecourse the crown for which the runner strives is his reward. But we have shown that happiness is the identical good for the sake of which all actions are performed.

“Therefore the absolute good is the reward put before all human actions. But good men cannot be deprived of this. And further, a man who lacks good cannot justly be described as a good man; wherefore we may say that good habits never miss their rewards. Let the wicked rage never so wildly, the wise man's crown shall never fail nor wither.

“And the wickedness of bad men can never take away from good men the glory that belongs to them. Whereas if a good man rejoiced in a glory that he received from outside, then could another, or even he, maybe, who granted it, carry it away. But since honesty grants to every good man its own rewards, he will only lack his reward when he ceases to be good.

“And lastly, since every reward is sought for the reason that it is held to be good, who shall say that the man, who possesses goodness, does not receive his reward? And what reward is this? Surely the fairest and greatest of all.”

—from Book 4, Prose 3

One of my most deeply ingrained bad habits, one that is so worked into my responses that I barely notice it, is what I can only call the expectation of further reward. I will consciously consider what the right thing to do is, the action that will respect both my own dignity and the dignity of others, and I will tell myself that I know good should be done simply because it is good. I feel certain, as Lady Philosophy says to me, that virtue is its own reward, and that vice is its own punishment.

I have, over the years, even managed to start enjoying a just or a kind deed, only from an awareness of its moral worth. It is a deeply fulfilling satisfaction when felt sincerely, free of pride or ostentation, and I should be able to find rest and peace in it.

And then, as if by some unspoken assumption, I find myself looking for more. Where is that recognition I deserve? How long until I get some praise to make me feel special? When will a wonderful new set of gratifying circumstances fall into my lap as a well-earned prize? I begin to make further demands of Providence, and by asking for such compensation I have already thrown away whatever decency may have been in my actions to begin with.

What I am so foolishly forgetting is that my merit is in what I do, not in what happens to me, and so my confusion goes to the very heart of how I think about my own human nature. The Consolation has been reminding me, time and time again, that happiness is itself the practice of virtue, precisely because it is the completion of my good, not that of anyone or anything else.

If someone else pats me on the back or throws money my way, does that really say anything about me, or add anything to who I am? Or if such things are withheld from me, am I any less than I was before? I have clearly not transformed my values as deeply as I would like to think, if I am still hoping to receive more than what is already completely mine.

It is certainly not an excuse, but I can only think of how long I have been hearing about fortune being some sort of reward for good character. Well, then I must redouble my efforts, and become all the more conscious of my motives.

If I am not content with my virtue as an end in itself, but make it a means for some end of fortune, then I will be quite ready to compromise my virtue for that higher goal. The good man will give up money for his integrity, but the wicked man will give up his integrity for money.

If I worry about losing my happiness, then I do not rightly understand its source and measure. I cannot lose it, any more than I can cease to be myself, because it is the sum of my own thoughts and deeds. Only I determine if I will keep it or throw it away.

If I become jealous of rich, and powerful, and popular folks, thinking that they have taken away something that I deserve, I need only remember that such things are not worthy of envy at all, since they are not human goods. If I look inside a man’s soul, whether rich or poor, I will see what truly matters.

I wonder, if I were running a race, what would be most important to me? Would it be the sparkling crown at the end, and the thunderous roar of the crowd, and the honor of having my name in all the record books?

Or might the reward of my own excellence be more than enough, of having raced at my absolute best, regardless of what trinkets I receive, or who notices it, or if it is ever a part of history?

I see more and more that the difference between these two attitudes reflects the difference between the miserable man and the happy man. 

Written in 11/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment