The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, November 18, 2019

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 3.2


If this is true, by what reasoning would it ever be appropriate for men to search out and consider how they may lead good lives, which is exactly the study of philosophy, but inappropriate for women?

Could it be that it is fitting for men to be good, but not for women? Let us examine in detail the qualities which are suitable for a woman who would lead a good life, for it will appear that each one of them would accrue to her most readily from the study of philosophy.

The false opposition between male and female is only one of so many ways that we find to divide and separate the world. It is certainly right to distinguish the way things are different, though we do ourselves a great disservice when we forget how they are also the same. A contrast is confused with a conflict; a complement is confused with a contradiction.

What Musonius says here about gender can apply just as easily to other false divisions we impose upon ourselves. Besides facing men against women, we are drawn to breeding discord between races, classes, nations, religions, or political ideologies.

What all these instances share in common is how they insist that one side is right precisely because the other is wrong, that some people are better on account of other people being worse, and that this idea must be true through being at war with another idea that must be false.

Why are we tempted to do this? I can only think that it reflects an attempt to discover our own value, but in a cheap and easy way that draws attention to the failings of the other.

I know that whenever I have fallen into this trap, which I have done more often than I care to admit, I somehow feel more special when I oppose myself to someone or something else. I make myself bigger, taller, or stronger by making others smaller, shorter, or weaker.

It becomes so effortless to cast blame, to diminish, or to dispose that I may hardly be aware that I am doing it. I have to admit that I am drawn to such a twisted solution because it diverts me from having to carefully consider myself.

We see contradictions where logic demands none. We build walls to avoid facing the beautiful yet terrifying prospect that our neighbors are just the same as we are. Picking enemies we can hate requires far less soul-searching than embracing the friends we should love.

Why do I think I should have the opportunity to study and practice philosophy? Well, I have reason, so it is necessary for me to learn to live well. Does a woman also have reason? Or that man who has a different color? Or that group over there that speak in words I can’t understand? Does my political opponent also possess a mind and a will?

“No! They are a lesser form of the species, barbarians, barely human!” We have all heard that, time and time again, both in the past and in the present. The opponents may change, while the ignorance remains the same.

My selfishness and narrow thinking do not want me to admit that if I have certain human needs, responsibilities, or rights, then every other human being also has those same needs, responsibilities or rights.

I may prefer to ignore this, because it is more immediately gratifying for me to receive instead of give, to exclude instead of accept. Resentment becomes a sort of universal “get out of jail free” card. If I can blame others, I can cast aside my own sense of accountability for myself. False division is an excuse for my own failure.

A truth is only universal when it applies too all instances, not just to some. If a man should be wise, brave, temperate, and just because of his humanity, then a woman should also be wise, brave, temperate and just because of her humanity. This will also be true if someone is rich or poor, young or old, or waving any color of flag.

You don’t need to roll your eyes at me, and tell me that this is sentimental claptrap. The passions may appreciate it, but it is reason that demands it.

Written in 4/1999

No comments:

Post a Comment