The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, November 23, 2019

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 2.3

What you desire, to be undisturbed, is a great thing, no, the greatest thing of all, and one that raises a man almost to the level of a god. The Greeks call this calm steadiness of mind euthymia, and Democritus' treatise upon it is excellently written.

 I call it peace of mind, for there is no necessity for translating so exactly as to copy the words of the Greek idiom. The essential point is to mark the matter under discussion by a name that ought to have the same meaning as its Greek name, though perhaps not the same form.

What we are seeking, then, is how the mind may always pursue a steady, unruffled course, may be pleased with itself, and look with pleasure upon its surroundings, and experience no interruption of this joy, but abide in a peaceful condition without being ever either elated or depressed: this will be "peace of mind”.

We are convinced that we must always be busy, frantically running about here and there, occupied with not only one task after another, but with as many tasks at the same time as possible. Then, we actually go around bragging about how hectic our lives are, as if this were somehow a badge of success. Look at all that we are sacrificing in order to be happy! How noble our suffering!

This would seem, however, quite an odd way to become happy. Happiness will not come from making ourselves more miserable. There is no rest for the restless. We will hardly find peace if we are always at war.

What Seneca here calls euthymia, peace of mind, is a way to describe that goal we are all seeking. It is what Serenus longs for in the midst of his dreariness and doubt. It is what I have always desired, though I have not clearly known how to find it, or even precisely what it is. It is what any man occupied with all the petty diversions of life hopes to discover, somewhere beyond or behind all of those diversions. It is what even the most wicked man, wrapped up in his own selfishness and spite, truly craves.

“Sure,” someone might say, “you mean feeling good?”

Yes, it may include a feeling of pleasure, but it is far more than that, and the fact that we reduce it only to feeling is a part of our problem. The sorts of pleasures we usually pursue are often about gratification, about continually consuming and possessing, and this is more about a deeper contentment and satisfaction with all things. It is feeling at peace, not longing for more.

Furthermore, the value of that feeling must itself be an effect of a certain state of mind, of how we live and act, of the whole of our own self in relationship to the world around us. It includes the body, the passions, the mind and the will, and it means that I can, at any time or in any circumstance, look within myself, and look outside of myself, and say with all conviction, “Yes, this is good!”

It will not be hindered by unexpected obstacles, and it will not be interrupted by extreme highs and lows. I won’t be laughing out loud at one moment, and crying uncontrollably the next. There will no need for furiously working to acquire more, because I will already have within me everything I need.

I can’t improve on how Seneca describes it, but I can point to further aspects or images that help me to personally understand it. I think of this peace of mind as building a balance, where no one part outweighs the other, and where all the pieces are working together as a whole. That balance is in my own soul, and in my soul's place in Nature.

I remember that sudden moment when I could ride my bicycle with no conscious effort, with no falling down, with no wobbling, with no frustrations. I remember that time I built my first house of cards, and it stayed standing. I remember when I finally sat next to another person on a park bench, and there was absolutely no need for anxiety or words. There is the balance, there is the harmony, there is the peace, there is the contentment. 

Written in 5/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment