The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, November 2, 2019

Seneca, On Peace of Mind 1.8


At one time I would obey the maxims of our school and plunge into public life, I would obtain office and become consul, not because the purple robe and lictor's axes attract me, but in order that I may be able to be of use to my friends, my relatives, to all my countrymen, and indeed to all mankind. Ready and determined, I follow the advice of Zeno, Cleanthes, and Chrysippus, all of whom bid one take part in public affairs, though none of them ever did so himself.

And then, as soon as something disturbs my mind, which is not used to receiving shocks, as soon as something occurs which is either disgraceful, such as often occurs in all men's lives, or which does not proceed quite easily, or when subjects of very little importance require me to devote a great deal of time to them, I go back to my life of leisure, and, just as even tired cattle go faster when they are going home, I wish to retire and pass my life within the walls of my house.

People may think that philosophers in general are isolated from the real world, and that Stoics in particular have no care or concern for others. Yet the Stoicism I know insists that man must be a social animal, precisely because he is a rational animal, and that he is called to be in service to others, precisely because he is made to live with justice.

Any Stoic worth the name will always hold a bond of kinship with his neighbors, recognizing himself in them, and knowing that each person is an inseparable part of the whole. We are all agents of Providence.

Accordingly, the great Stoics stressed the importance of an active public life, and that we should participate and cooperate with our fellows. My values may be very different than those of the man who desires fame and fortune, but this does not mean I should shun him. I choose to define myself by the character inside of me, while he chooses to define himself by all the things outside of him, yet we share in the very same nature.

So I make a very conscious and deliberate effort, each and every day, to involve myself with others, to pass something good on to them, however paltry it may seem. I shouldn’t attempt this to gain power or influence over them, or to increase my station; I should do it to hopefully improve myself and to help them, in turn, improve themselves.

I try to seek out friends so I can do something for them, not so they can do something for me. I tell myself I should expect no other appreciation or reward, beyond the knowledge of having struggled to live with virtue.

That sounds all nice and well, but then I see once again how poorly other people can actually decide to behave. They will lie, they will steal, they will grovel to one and gossip about another. They will smile at you when you are convenient, and look away when you are no longer of any use. I can hardly tell whether I can trust a man, because I do not know what is really in his heart. Welcome to the seedy side of public life.

Now I suddenly question my values, and I allow myself to become deeply discouraged.

I can remember that I should not look to how others will live, but to how I can live, and I still feel like my efforts are wasted. I can consider that hardships and obstacles offer a necessary opportunity in life, yet I remain despondent. I can repeatedly tell myself not be resentful of anyone’s mistakes, even as they weigh down on me.

The worst part of it is that I know I should choose to love people, while I also find it so difficult to even like them. I know it is within my power to sincerely commit to my neighbors, and all I can think about is running away from them.

I get tired of all the pettiness and the malice. I sometimes just want to go home, and pretend the rest of the world doesn’t even exist. I find that the biggest hindrance to a good life isn’t some other conflicting grand theory, but the accumulation of many little annoyances.

Written in 4/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment