The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 8.42


Hindrance to the perceptions of sense is an evil to the animal nature. Hindrance to the movements of the desires is equally an evil to the animal nature. And something else also is equally an impediment and an evil to the constitution of plants.

So then that which is a hindrance to the intelligence is an evil to the intelligent nature. Apply all these things then to yourself. Does pain or sensuous pleasure affect you? The senses will look to that.

Has any obstacle opposed you in your efforts towards an object? If indeed you were making this effort absolutely, unconditionally, or without any reservation, certainly this obstacle is an evil to you considered as a rational animal.

But if you take into consideration the usual course of things, you have not yet been injured, nor even impeded. The things, however, that are proper to the understanding no other man is able to impede, for neither fire, nor iron, nor tyrant, nor abuse, touches it in any way.

When it has been made a sphere, it continues a sphere.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 8 (tr Long)

I understand and accept that Stoic thinking and living are hardly going to be all that popular. I’m not so arrogant as to think that this is because most people can’t do it, since if even I can get a start at it then anyone can, but rather because most people simply don’t want to do it. Our habits will tell us that everything worthwhile in life is to be found outside of us. We are accustomed to thinking that what we possess makes us better and happier, whether it be money, or pleasure, or reputation, and so we define ourselves by everything except ourselves.

The whole model of Stoicism can come across as quite ridiculous to our common sensibilities, especially when a Stoic says something as preposterous as “You cannot defeat me.”

“Of course I can defeat you! I can block your way. I can take your property. I can ruin your name. I can lock you up. I can even kill you.”

Yes, perhaps those things are sometimes within your power to control, but you will find that they are outside of your grasp as often as they are within it. Your fortune will change as quickly, and as easily, as mine.

Most importantly, however, you will also find that one thing always remains beyond your power. Whatever circumstance you put me in, my judgment remains my own. Alter the state of my body, of my senses, of my feelings, but only I can choose to alter the state of my thinking.

If I only so decide, your efforts will be in vain, and you are only giving me the chance to develop a better soul, while you do harm to your own soul. Here, let us instead become better together.

The senses can be hindered, and the desires can be denied, and the body can be chained, but the mind remains free.

Does this mean that the mind has absolute power to do whatever it wills? Of course not. It may not have the power to make the body immortal, or turn lead into gold, or charm someone into undying love. Just because something can be dreamed, does not necessarily mean it can be achieved.

What does, however, always remain within the sphere of the mind is the mastery over itself. I remind myself that this is always my own, even as situations come and go around me. Even how long I will live is not for me to decide, but how well I live while I live is entirely my own business.

The sphere need never give way, or surrender the dignity that is enclosed within it. 

Written in 4/2008 

IMAGE: M.C. Escher, Hand With Reflecting Sphere (1935) 

No comments:

Post a Comment