The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Epictetus, Golden Sayings 49


In what character do you now come forward?

As a witness summoned by God. 

"Come you," says God, "and testify for me, for you are worthy of being brought forward as a witness by Me. Is anything that is outside your will either good or bad? Do I hurt any man? Have I placed the good of each in the power of any other than himself? What witness do you bear to God?"

"I am in an evil state, Master, I am undone! None care for me, none give me anything. All men blame, all speak evil of me."

Is this the witness you will bear, and do dishonor to the calling to which He has called you, because He has done you so great honor, and deemed you worthy of being summoned to bear witness in so great a cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment