The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 3.1


When she finished her song, its soothing tones left me spellbound with my ears alert in my eagerness to listen. So a while afterwards I said, “Greatest comforter of weary minds, how have you cheered me with your deep thoughts, and sweet singing too! No more shall I doubt my power to meet the blows of Fortune. So far am I from terror at the remedies which you did lately tell me were sharper, that I am longing to hear them, and eagerly I beg you for them.”

Then she said, “I knew it when you laid hold upon my words in silent attention, and I was waiting for that frame of mind in you, or more truly, I brought it about in you. They that remain are indeed bitter to the tongue, but sweet to the inner man. But as you say you are eager to hear, how ardently you would be burning, if you knew where I am attempting to lead you!”

“Where is that?” I asked.

“To the true happiness, of which your soul too dreams; but your sight is taken up in imaginary views of it, so that you cannot look upon itself.”

Then said I, “I pray you show me what that truly is, and quickly.”

“I will do so,” she said, “for your sake willingly. But first I will try to picture in words and give you the form of the cause, which is already better known to you, that so, when that picture is perfect and you turn your eyes to the other side, you may recognize the form of true happiness.”

—from Book 3, Prose 1

I find another transition of sorts here, a shift from considering how I should view myself in the face of Fortune to a deeper examination of the true origin of happiness. Boethius has learned that he should not rely on the circumstances around him, but should rather seek the wisdom and virtue within him. Now what actually constitutes such a strength of inner character? Where is one to look to find its source? Even as so much in our world seems fickle and unreliable, what can be constant and trusted?

Having seen how the ebb and flow of Fortune is not the measure of happiness, it is now time to find comfort in the order of Nature.

We will all agree that happiness is surely a good thing, yet I can’t help but think that we are often only running after little bits of it here and there, much like a mouse scampering about, picking up crumbs under the table, completely oblivious to the banquet above.

When we are asked what happiness is, most of us will answer with a list of desirable things, but what is it that these things really share in common, and what is it that makes them good? If we consider them worthy of our attention, from where do they receive that worth?

So I may wander about, with my head hung down, looking at this or that beneath me, when I might be better served by looking up.

The prisoners in Plato’s Cave were captivated by the images right in front of their eyes, but they did not consider where these images came from, or what sort of reality stood behind them. Someone who has looked beyond the immediacy of what is appealing to the senses and desires may describe a whole different world out there, of which the images are just pale shadows, but the prisoners would hardly know what he is talking about. Because they choose not to reflect upon what things means, they will have no frame of reference.

Even Boethius, as educated as he was in the study of philosophy, will apparently need to be introduced to the true form of happiness in stages. Lady Philosophy will begin with what is more familiar to him, and then gradually proceed to an awareness of the complete and perfect source.

When I have been in the dark for too long, my eyes will need time to adjust to the light. It isn’t that the light is too bright, but that my eyes have been deprived of it, and must again become accustomed to receiving its rays. This is why any effective teacher I have ever had always moved me along by steady degrees.

There is little point in going straight to the conclusion, since it will make no sense without the preceding argument. We can only get to what is further away by starting with what is closer, moving from the proximate to the ultimate.

Boethius, like every one of us, is still learning to fly.

Written in 9/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment