The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 7.61


The body ought to be compact, and to show no irregularity either in motion or attitude.

For what the mind shows in the face by maintaining in it the expression of intelligence and propriety, that ought to be required also in the whole body.

But all of these things should be observed without affectation.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7 (tr Long)

“If I’m good on the inside, what does it matter how I look, or how I come across on the outside?”

Those are the words of a confident young man, convinced that he is completely right, as all young men are convinced. He has finally started to figure out that who he is, and all that really matters about him, flows from his convictions and from his character. He suddenly sees that dwelling on appearance is not only deceptive, but also so deeply destructive. So he now only cares about his inner workings, and he cares nothing at all for his outward presentation.

Surely I am not the only young fellow who went through this stage? The part about the inner workings is quite good; the part about not caring for the rest, not so much. I have rejected one extreme, only to slide into another.

No, I should never define myself by how I look to others, but who I am should surely express itself in how I look to others. I will hardly become a better man by seeming better, but I will certainly seem better if I am a better man. As is so often the case, I get my wires crossed, and I confuse the cause and the consequence.

A truly decent appearance is never about shallow qualities, but rather gives off outward signs of the virtue within. I can hardly decide how tall or short I am, or whether the proportions of my body fit whatever is trendy at the moment, but I can certainly decide to care rightly for whatever Nature has provided. I may not have the biggest or the best garden, but I will cultivate it well just the same.

I should keep my body clean, as best as I am able, as an extension of a clean soul. They taught me that in Boy Scouts, and after much complaining, I understood completely.

I should keep my body healthy, as best as I am able, because my body is the means by which my soul may act.

I should keep my body strong, as best as I am able, since a master craftsman needs a good tool.

I should keep my body confident and upright, as best as I am able, even as other may slouch and stumble. The stance of a good man or a good woman is always one that speaks of commitment.

From the old Scouting days, I remember that it will make little difference if I am mentally awake and morally straight, if I do not also strive to be physically strong.

Again, as best as I can. Nature expects no more of me than what I can do with what is given to me. How I appear matters nothing at all in and of itself, but Providence does indeed smile when how I appear tells others about who I am. This should never be about posing and posturing, but about making the body a suitable vessel for the soul. 

Written in 1/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment