The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 2.30


. . . “And do you think that this should be reckoned among the least benefits of this rough, unkind, and terrible ill fortune, that she has discovered to you the minds of your faithful friends?

 “Fortune has distinguished for you your sure and your doubtful friends; her departure has taken away her friends and left you yours. At what price could you have bought this benefit if you had been untouched and, as you thought, fortunate?

 “Cease then to seek the wealth you have lost. You have found your friends, and they are the most precious of all riches.”

—from Book 2, Prose 8

Offering an example of how misfortune can actually help us to become better, Lady Philosophy asks Boethius to consider how desperate circumstances can encourage understanding of the true nature of friendship. Few things seem dearer to us, and also more painful to us, than our relationships with the people we would like to consider our friends.

This passage resonates with me quite deeply. I was never really a fellow who wanted to be in the spotlight, loved by the many, but I always felt a need to find just a few people I could love and trust. I made many mistakes in this regard.

In school, people would often say they were your friends when it was socially convenient. At work, people would often say they were your friends when it was professionally convenient. On the most personal level, people would often say they were your friends when it was emotionally convenient.

And I would fall for it, time and time again. I followed all the wrong sorts of people, and so I made myself the wrong sort of person. I was impressed by charm, or influence, or simply if someone made me feel good. And then I wondered why it all ended up hurting so much.

I would reach out to others, and then I suddenly found myself burned. I once quite foolishly even committed all of myself to someone, not quite knowing what I was getting into, but thinking that if I made that great leap, only good would follow. It didn’t. I ended up alone.  

I would then impulsively blame others, and I would lash out about how unfair it all was. Yet the blame for my agony was never with others, whatever wrong they may or may not have done for themselves. The blame for my agony came from me.

It took quite a bit of time, and quite a bit more struggling with myself, but I eventually saw that I misunderstood the nature of love, at all levels, and to all degrees. I expected to be given comfort, confidence, and support. It is quite wonderful to receive this, but that, I realized, is not what it means to be a friend. To be a friend is to provide comfort, confidence, and support. I had it backwards.

Now it is entirely possible that I might have learned this in any number of ways, but I found it telling that I happened to learn it not by experiencing healthy forms of friendship, but by experiencing sick forms of friendship. It was actually the absence of what was good that pointed me to the presence of what was good. Being disposed of by others helped me to respect others, and being deceived by others helped me to be honest with others.

As painful as it may be, worldly disappointments in life can sometimes teach us far more than our worldly successes in life. I imagine what could have become of me if I had not eventually seen how I was so easily cast aside. I might well have continued under the illusion that crooked people thought I mattered. If I had continued being useful, and therefore being comfortably numb, I might never have learned.

Misfortune will tell you exactly who your real friends are, and, more importantly, it will also tell you exactly who you are.

Written in 9/2015

IMAGE: Pablo Picasso, Friendship (1908) 


No comments:

Post a Comment