The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 2.28


“The mind that rushes headlong in its search for fame,
thinking that is its highest good,
should look upon the spreading regions of the air,
and then upon the bounded tracts that are this world.
Then will shame enter it,
that, though fame grows, yet can it never fill so small a circle.
Proud men! Why will you try in vain
to free your necks from the yoke mortality has set on them?
Though fame may be wide scattered
and find its way through distant lands,
and set the tongues there talking;
though a splendid house may draw brilliance from famous names and tales;
yet death regards not any glory, howsoever great.
Alike he overwhelms the lowly and the lofty head,
and levels high with low.
Where are Fabricius' bones, that honorable man?
What now is Brutus? Or unbending Cato?
Their fame survives in this:
 it has no more than a few slight letters showing forth an empty name.
We see their noble names engraved,
and only know thereby that they are brought to nothing.
You lie then all unknown, and fame can give no knowledge of you.
But if you think that life can be prolonged by the breath of mortal fame,
yet when the slow time robs you of this too,
then there awaits you but a second death.”

—from Book 2, Poem 7

In my own experience, the pull of fame and fortune can have a powerful effect on the imagination, precisely because it is so often filled with vivid impressions of feeling important. I may, in theory, understand the innate weakness of such posturing, but I am tempted nevertheless by the sights and sounds of being praised and esteemed.

I have long appreciated the word vainglory, because its very parts tell me everything I need to know about the danger of a false pride in honor. Even so, the glory can seem to hide the poison of the vanity.

So it can help me to confront such appealing images with the contrast of correspondingly weak and disturbing images, reminders that things are not always as they at first appear. If I see someone being revered, I can think how quickly he will be forgotten. If I see a monument raised in his memory, I can find myself another monument overgrown with weeds. If I see him being glorified in the media, I can look at a pile of old newspapers used to line a pet cage. If I see him being driven about in a fancy car, I can imagine only how he might feel when being driven for the last time in a hearse. When I see him eating at a sumptuous banquet, I can ponder being food for the worms.

Though I at first found them frightening, I have actually grown fond of the medieval tradition of memento mori (“remember that you will die”), or of depictions of the Dance of Death, or of Flemish vanitas paintings. The point is never to simply dwell on what is morbid, but to remember what is right and good. Boethius is here doing much the same.

Not only will the glory of the world never last, and we will not even be around for what little of it might linger, but consider also what we make of ourselves when we pursue this path. All attention is drawn to what is on the outside, at the expense of what is on the inside. Life is no longer simply about what we choose to think and do, but about what others think and do. Instead of asking what I can give, I ask only what I can receive. Contentment succumbs to consumption, and character falls to charisma.

I sometimes wonder how much the people around me, who are building up their position and reputation, actually share in any sort of happiness. They often seem so busy, so frenzied, and so tired that I suspect they have little time to reflect on who they are at all, being constantly occupied with who other people think they are.

Yet I shouldn’t second-guess others, and I only need to look within myself. I know that whenever I’ve been enticed by fortune, I may think it will make me more free, even as I am only selling myself into slavery.

Written in 9/2015

IMAGE: Frans Hals, Young Man with a Skull (c. 1626)


No comments:

Post a Comment