The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 6.49


Let us try to persuade them, and even act even against their will, when the principles of justice lead that way.

If, however, any man by using force stands in your way, betake yourself to contentment and tranquility, and at the same time employ the hindrance towards the exercise of some other virtue.

And remember that your attempt was with a reservation, that you did not desire to do impossibilities. What then did you desire? Some such effort as this. But you attained your object, if the things to which you were moved are accomplished.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

When I see others doing wrong, I need to ask myself what I should be doing in response. Now I notice many people simply looking the other way, assuming that conscience has nothing to do with their own profit. I would then, of course, become a wrongdoer myself, for the worth of our actions is both in what we do, and in what we leave undone.

Should I offer friendship and an appeal to reason, in an attempt to convince them of what is truly good? Yes, if my intent is properly sincere, and if I am informed by a sense of what is just. This is within my power.

Should I stand against them, even when they object or resist? Yes, if by doing so I can still make right of something that is wrong, and I aim at the benefit of all, not just of some. This is also within my power.

But what if I am opposed by a resistance that hinders me from correcting an error, or fixing what has been broken? This is no longer within my power. By stubbornly fighting back against what I cannot overcome, I will have failed to make the situation any better, and I will have only made myself worse by meeting an aggression with even more aggression.

When the path ahead is blocked, and I cannot pass through, I can, however, still pass around. If I am denied the chance to do what is right in one way, that very obstacle can offer me an opportunity to do right in another. If another turns away from me, I can still practice patience. If I am denied a fair hearing, I can still be understanding. If another meets me with hatred, I can still meet him with love.

I can continue to practice virtue in a new manner, though in a way that was different than what I may have originally intended. I must remember that each and every circumstance, however limiting it may at first appear, always provides a chance to act with integrity, compassion, and justice.

How often have we all seen people who find themselves in disagreement or conflict, and when an appeal to common sense is ignored, and when all other reasonable options for resolution have failed, they nevertheless still insist on fighting it out? That is then no longer a desire for finding a shared good, but simply the pursuit of destruction.

I once knew a fellow who felt that his own thoughtless omission, however unintended, had cost me something very dear to me. He asked me what he could do to make it right, but I was being cocky and foolish, and I turned him away. He then tried to fix the problem as best he could on his own, even as I remained headstrong, and he only desisted when I rudely told him to mind his own business.

Some time later, I ran across a wonderful, and completely anonymous, favor that had been done for me. I was deeply moved, but I could not figure out how it had come my way. As it turned out, it was a kindness given me by the very man I had so harshly cast aside. He had never said a word about it, and I only learned of it through others.

When I overcame my shame, I sheepishly approached him. “Why?” I asked.

“You wouldn’t let me tip the scales back how I wanted to, so I found something else. You locked your door, but you left your window open. I hope you’re not angry.”

I was hardly angry anymore. I learned something there that has stuck with me for years. If I didn’t obviously know any better, I’d swear he had been teaching me a loving lesson.

Written in 7/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment