The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Epictetus, Golden Sayings 1


Are these the only works of Providence within us? What words suffice to praise or set them forth? Had we but understanding, should we ever cease hymning and blessing the Divine Power, both openly and in secret, and telling of His gracious gifts? Whether digging, or plowing, or eating, should we not sing the hymn to God:

"Great is God, for that He has given us such instruments to till the ground. Great is God, for that He has given us hands and the power of swallowing and digesting, of unconsciously growing and breathing while we sleep!"

Thus should we ever have sung, yes and this, the grandest and divinest hymn of all:

"Great is God, for that He has given us a mind to apprehend these things, and duly to use them!"

What then? seeing that most of you are blinded, should there not be someone to fill this place, and sing the hymn to God on behalf of all men?

What else can I do, that am old and lame, but sing to God? Were I a nightingale, I should do after the manner of a nightingale. Were I a swan, I should do after the manner of a swan. But now, since I am a reasonable being, I must sing to God. 

That is my work. I do it, nor will I desert this my post, as long as it is granted me to hold it, and upon you too I call to join in this same hymn. 

* * * * * 

One of the first Stoic texts I came across was an old, dusty, and worn copy of The Golden Sayings of Epictetus, a collection of passages selected and translated by Hastings Crossley, first printed back in 1909.  It had been sitting quite neglected on a shelf in my college library, last checked out over a decade earlier. It was used as a part of the Harvard Classics series.

Now there are many more contemporary translations available, complete with all the newest scholarship. Yet I still have a weakness for this old version, because it eventually became a close friend. 

It was my first introduction to reading a passage of Stoicism each and every day, something I then expanded to other Stoic writers, and it later became the basis for jotting down my own personal reflections on these texts. 

When I got my first e-mail account, I started changing the signature file every week to include a new quote from this edition. I didn't think anyone noticed for some time, until one of my professors voiced encouragement, and suggested other texts I would appreciate.

I have such a soft spot for this old version that I once picked up a few different battered copies at used bookstores from around Boston to pass on to my friends. I don't think I ever paid any more than two dollars for a copy. At that kind of price, it was one the most profitable investments I could ever imagine. 

Yes, truly golden. 

Written in 10/1995

No comments:

Post a Comment