The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Boethius, The Consolation 2.16


“But now,” she continued, “the first remedies of reasoning are reaching you more deeply, and I think I should now use those that are somewhat stronger.

“If the gifts of Fortune fade not nor pass quickly away, even so, what is there in them that could ever be truly yours, or that would not lose its value when examined or thought upon?  Are riches valuable for their own nature, or on account of your and other men's natures? Which is the more valuable, the gold itself, or the power of the stored up money?

“Surely wealth shines more brightly when spent than when put away in masses. Avarice ever brings hatred, while generous spending brings honor. But that cannot remain with one person that is handed over to another. Therefore money becomes valuable to its possessor when, by being scattered, it is transferred to others, and ceases to be possessed.

“And if all that is heaped together among mankind comes to one man, it makes the others all poor. A voice indeed fills equally the ears of all that hear. But your riches cannot pass to others without being lessened, and when they pass, they make poor those whom they leave. How limited then and poor are those riches, that most men may not have, and that can only come to one by making others poor!”. . .

—from Book 2, Prose 5

I had a very brief moment, thankfully quite brief, where I actually worked in the world of finance. I earned more in that one year than I had earned for the five years before, or for the five years following. If money and status had been my thing, I would have played the game, sucked up to the boss, and perhaps even made myself someone of importance.

Needless to say, I didn’t do that. An old friend got me the job, and I am still grateful for his efforts. I just couldn’t sit around, day by day, realizing that what I was doing involved making rich people even richer, and making poor people even poorer.

I had always assumed that the stock market was a sort of science. It isn’t. It’s a psychological game. It’s the art of manipulation, and it’s a manipulation driven by greed. And it sadly runs the country we live in.

Those who actually work for a living are slaves to those who do no work at all. Give a man a million dollars, and he may be bright enough to turn it into ten million dollars overnight. Have a man earn ten dollars, what you pay him for an hour of his paltry life, and he ends up in debt. How bright he is makes no difference.

What is money, after all? Simply having it alone means nothing. It all depends upon the power we use it for. Some men may spend it for good, and some may spend it for evil, but the value only comes from the actual spending.

And when I spend, I lose what I have. So I seek to acquire again, only to spend again. The more I spend, the more I want, and I become caught in a destructive and never-ending cycle of wanting and consuming. 

Lady Philosophy isn’t giving us sound financial advice. She is giving us moral advice, fully aware that a man is measured by his character, not by his portfolio. People skilled in the art of wealth laugh at this, but that is only because they consider wealth as an end. She is reminding us that even wealth itself is a passing thing, never static, always in motion. It comes, and it goes, like all things provided by Fortune, and the very coming and going are the very source of its seductive appeal.

Now ask yourself, with all honesty, whether something so transitory, something so based upon taking from others to gain for oneself, so desirable yet so fleeting, can ever be a measure of life. Once you have it, it has to go away to make it worthwhile. Once it is gone, you will need more to make it go away again. All at the expense of someone else, who loses what you have gained.

For over twenty years, I have spent a good part of my life trying to help drug addicts. We call them criminals, scum, and the worst of the worst. Replace their drug of choice with the love of money. It’s much the same thing. I will sell my soul to get it, I will use it until it is all gone, and then I will struggle to find another way to get more.

Instead of grasping for what is an illusion, it might help me to pursue what is real. I scramble to take money from others, when I should be trying to make more of myself.

Written in 8/2015




No comments:

Post a Comment