The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, August 27, 2018

Marcus Aurelius. Meditations 6.46

Think continually that all kinds of men, and of all kinds of pursuits, and of all nations are dead, so that your thoughts come down even to Philistion, and Phoebus, and Origanion.

Now turn your thoughts to the other kinds of men. To that place then we must remove, where there are so many great orators, and so many noble philosophers, Heraclitus, Pythagoras, Socrates. So many heroes of former days, and so many generals after them, and tyrants. Besides these, Eudoxus, Hipparchus, Archimedes, and other men of acute natural talents, great minds, lovers of labor, versatile, confident, mockers even of the perishable and ephemeral life of man, as Menippus and such as are like him.

As to all these, consider that they have long been in the dust. What harm then is this to them, and what to those whose names are altogether unknown?

One thing here is worth a great deal, to pass your life in truth and justice, with a benevolent disposition even to liars and unjust men.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

Some people might be famous for their various skills and achievements. Other people might be infamous for their various weaknesses and failures. Most of us are hardly thought of or remembered at all, and the qualities we so hoped would define us will be of no significance at all. The ornaments and trappings of life should never be confused with its true purpose and content.

Now a man might possess the gift of fine speech, or have an insightful mind, or be a conqueror on the field of battle, or be talented in ruling others. He may be quick to win a name for himself, and he may raise himself in power and influence.

None of this will make any difference at all, if it is not in the service, first and foremost, of being a good man. Integrity, fairness, and compassion will make all the difference, because they themselves are about the living, not about the conditions in which one lives.

I would always pride myself in not being impressed by people who simply looked attractive, or who were rich, or who were popular. Yet I would still let myself be drawn in by various other characteristics, such as a sense of wit, taste, or charm, and then I would wonder why I still wasn’t finding genuine friends. I may not have been falling for the usual traps, only a slightly less trendy set of traps. I was confusing qualities with character, swapping the attributes people had with the virtues of what they did.

I would then sometimes blame others for being selfish, deceptive, or thoughtless, when I only needed to take responsibility for myself in thinking they would somehow be giving, honest, and concerned, just because they happened to be smart or amusing. People will make their own choices for themselves, and it isn’t my place to make those decisions for them. But it most certainly is my place to stand by my own conscience, to admire and respect others for the right reasons.

It never came to me in a single moment, but I slowly began to realize that I was never going to be admired, respected, or listened to in this world. The things that interested me, and the values I thought best in life, were just not what most others cared for. Sometimes I might have felt angry with that, because it didn’t seem fair, or I might have felt sad about it, because I wished people could understand.

But it doesn’t need to breed resentment, and it doesn’t need to be a tragedy. I will only be worried about fortune and fame if I still think they are important in life. If I can only recognize that living well is simply good for the sake of living well, and nothing else above and beyond it, I won’t be caught up in the externals and the diversions.

It is a liberation, and not a burden, to understand what things in life are really worth, and to leave behind the charms of appearance for the merits of virtue.

Written in 7/2007

IMAGE: Lorenzo Lotto, Allegory of Virtue and Vice (1505)


No comments:

Post a Comment