The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, August 17, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 6.39


Adapt yourself to the things with which your lot has been cast.

And the men among whom you have received your portion, love them, but do it truly, sincerely.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

We now live in a world where Stoicism is treated as just another commodity, something to be bought and sold. I was recently approached by a fellow, who advised me to take his online courses. There would be a hefty fee, of course, but it would make me completely happy.

I knew it had all gone south when I was asked to buy a Stoic amulet. I didn’t know if I was supposed to wear it on my neck as bling, or display it on my office desk, but I knew it was a set of lies from the get go.

Philosophers of all types will write all sorts of things. Some of us write something, and we sometimes ask to be paid for an article or for a book. We make no real money off of it, of course. In twenty years, I have earned exactly $402.85 for everything I have ever written. Ask The IRS.

No, we now have hipster marketing people telling us that Stoicism is the way to go. Nature is no longer about Providence, apparently, but just about the “facts.” To be fair, if I was handsome, rich, and clever, I might also succumb to the temptation. If I’m a Stoic, they say, I’ll be successful in their world of business.

We also have academics that have realized how they can make a career for themselves by selling Stoicism by the pound. To be fair, if I play my game right, and kiss enough ass, I might also succumb to that temptation. If I’m a Stoic, they say, I might succeed in their world of scholarship.

But if you are truly a Stoic, neither money nor fame would ever move you. Don’t sell me courses. Don’t sell me amulets. Express your character, whether or not anyone else notices.

We are all so used to making the world our own, and now the business folks and the academics tell us that Stoicism is another way to do that.

But that isn’t Stoicism. See the passage above.

Accept, with respect and dignity, what Nature has given. Then show love, absolute love, with all sincerity and integrity.

Will it make me rich or famous? As soon as I ask that question, I am not a Stoic. I am not even a decent person to begin with. 

Written in 3/2017

 IMAGE: Buy this immediately. It will make you happy. You are a consumer, not a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment