The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, August 6, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 6.30


Take care that you are not made into a Caesar, that you art not dyed with this dye, for such things happen. Keep yourself then simple, good, pure, serious, free from affectation, a friend of justice, a worshipper of the gods, kind, affectionate, strenuous in all proper acts. Strive to continue to be such as philosophy wished to make you. Reverence the gods, and help men.

Short is life. There is only one fruit of this earthly life, a pious disposition and social acts.

Do everything as a disciple of Antoninus. Remember his constancy in every act which was conformable to reason, and his evenness in all things, and his piety, and the serenity of his countenance, and his sweetness, and his disregard of empty fame, and his efforts to understand things.

And how he would never let anything pass without having first most carefully examined it and clearly understood it; and how he bore with those who blamed him unjustly without blaming them in return; how he did nothing in a hurry; and how he listened not to calumnies, and how exact an examiner of manners and actions he was; and not given to reproach people, nor timid, nor suspicious, nor a sophist; and with how little he was satisfied, such as lodging, bed, dress, food, servants; and how laborious and patient; and how he was able on account of his sparing diet to hold out to the evening, not even requiring to relieve himself by any evacuations except at the usual hour; and his firmness and uniformity in his friendships; and how he tolerated freedom of speech in those who opposed his opinions; and the pleasure that he had when any man showed him anything better; and how religious he was without superstition.

Imitate all this that you may have as good a conscience, when your last hour comes, as he had.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

Many of us will find comfort and encouragement in some familiar reminder whenever we feel confused or disheartened. My mother will often glance at a photograph of her father, my wife will read from the Liturgy of the Hours, and my son will look through his collection of minerals. I will either listen to my favorite music or find myself a brief Stoic passage to get myself back on track.

All sorts of obstacles will seem to stand in my way, and all sorts of tempting diversions will hover around me. I am setting myself up for grief if I don’t stop, for however brief a moment, and find my bearings. Even the simplest of phrases can recharge my commitment, not because of the words themselves, but because of how they point me to an appreciation of what is true, good, and beautiful. Simplicity and directness are often the key, since a happy life is ultimately something quite simple and direct, free from all the vanities and the noise.

Now this passage is a longer one, filled with all sorts of characteristics of a life well lived, but I always summarize it for myself just as Marcus Aurelius does: piety for the Divine, charity for my neighbor. These two aspects clearly contain all that is necessary to live according to Nature.

Marcus Aurelius himself, of course, was a Caesar, but I suspect he is thinking here about how his attitude and manner of living, whatever his circumstances, must always remain sincere, humble, thoughtful, compassionate, and respectful. Providence may have asked the philosopher-emperor to wear the purple robe, but he would not let the arrogance and lust for power of the purple seep into his soul.

Just as my mother thinks of her father, or anyone can look to the example of another for inspiration, our fellows can serve us as a means of encouragement, whether they are still with us in person or only in memory. Here for Marcus Aurelius this model is Antoninus Pius, his adoptive father and predecessor as Emperor. Keeping in mind the many virtues of Antoninus helps Marcus pursue virtue for himself.

Sometimes I will fail to recognize whom I should think worthy of imitation. I will see people who are charming, clever, imposing, refined, or influential, and I will forget that these qualities, however appealing, are quite indifferent. I will confuse being an impressive man with being a good man, and so I get caught up in all sorts of contorted social games. I find myself distracted from the task, dazzled by appearances. The simplicity and directness of a good life is only recovered later, when my head is once again screwed on right.  

Whether or not Mark Twain originally said it, I know from my own experience how accurate this saying is:

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

Written in 4/2007

IMAGE: Bust of Emperor Antoninus Pius (c. 150 AD)

No comments:

Post a Comment