The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 6.34

How many pleasures have been enjoyed by robbers, patricides, tyrants.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6 (tr Long)

There is a perfectly good reason that the Stoics stood in strong opposition to the Epicureans. The Stoics did not believe that the presence of pleasure, and the absence of pain, defined the worth of a human being. They knew there was something far greater than all of that.

I’d like to say that only animals seek pleasure at all costs, but that isn’t quite true. It is an insult to the dignity of animals. No, animals will quite often sacrifice their comfort for the power of their instincts.

I once, in total horror, watched a mother cat defending her kittens from two wild dogs. Being the foolish old hippie that I am, I rushed in to help her. I could do nothing, and ended up with nasty dog bites on my hands and arms. Mother cat had a torn ear, and a mauled paw, and she was bleeding all over. I backed away, but she stood her ground. The dogs gave up their efforts. There was surely no pleasure in it for her.

She even hissed and scratched at me when I took her and her children to the vet.

Only a human being would be so foolish as to think that pleasure alone will fulfill him. We do exactly that, so much of the time. An animal does right by itself when it follows its natural instincts. A man does wrong for himself when he fails to follow his reason.

What unites all the players, thieves, or abusers of this world is the sense that their own gratification rules supreme. Their pleasure may come from the most base and physical sort, but I have found that it more often comes from a feeling of power, of having control over another.

Many years ago, I dated a girl who liked to play the field, as they say. Yes, I know, I should never have gone there. Lesson learned. One day, she seemed quite on edge. I asked her what was on her mind.

“I was with your friend Jay last night.”

“Yes, I know, we all had a good night, but you were drunk, and he drove you home.”

“No, I convinced him to take me to his place. Then I f***ed him.”

She immediately ran into the ladies' room, but for a moment before that, I saw a look on her face. It was a look of the deepest satisfaction. She was having her fun from bragging, and she was pleased by the shock in my own expression. I’d like to think it had nothing to do with what he gave her, but perhaps I am mistaken. I suspect it had far more to do with her sense of manipulating both of us.

I have come to learn that vicious people enjoy what they do, and it pleases them to no end. Even the worst of people enjoy their pleasures, however they might choose to find them.

The barbaric folks gratify themselves. That hardly makes them good folks. 

Written in 4/2007

1 comment:

  1. Wow, i was looking at the meaning for Aurelius 6.34 then i found this. Thank you the deep explanation and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete