The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, December 1, 2017

Epictetus, The Handbook 49: Pleasure, Pause, and Balance



When you imagine some pleasure, beware that it does not carry you away, like other imaginations. Wait a while, and give yourself pause.

Next remember two things: how long you will enjoy the pleasure, and also how long you will afterwards repent and revile yourself. And set on the other side the joy and self-satisfaction you will feel if you refrain.

And if the moment seems come to realize it, take heed that you be not overcome by the winning sweetness and attraction of it; set in the other scale the thought how much better is the consciousness of having vanquished it.

—Epictetus, The Handbook, Chapter 34 (tr Matheson)

Impressions and feelings can be tricky things. For the Stoic, it is not the pleasure or the pain itself that is good or bad to us, but rather our estimation and use of pleasure or pain that become the measure of their value for our living.

I can relate very immediately to Epictetus’ suggestions. I hardly think that any pleasure has done me any good at all if I have allowed myself to be immediately swept away by it. If it isn’t worth pausing, and considering it rightly, I am acting in the haste of blind surrender.

Now the way to estimate a pleasure can be to simply weigh the benefit and the cost. How much of myself am I giving, and what am I truly receiving? Caveat emptor. Most every life-defining mistake I have made arose from failing to rightly balance the credits and debits. Whether it be sex, money, drugs and alcohol, power, or fame, that first tingle of desire seems to offer so much. What it so often cost me was my own integrity, responsibility, freedom, and sense of respect. Some of those foolish decisions, made off the cuff and with hardly a thought, have come back to haunt me hundreds of times over.

I will often consider which sort of contentment will be deep and lasting. Will it be the pleasure of gratification, which is a thoughtless and careless abandonment, or the joy of right action, which proceeds from reflection and responsibility?

Note how often it is only the image and appearance, and not the deeper reality, that appeals to us, and it only takes the time and effort of judgment to see through the illusion. A pretty smile can seem so much more powerful than a loving soul, a sweet promise so much more convincing than genuine trust. I need only look beneath the mask. I have come to know many people in this life who are masters of illusion, but it hardly takes magical powers to see through the disguise. Do the deeds match the words? Do those promises sound too good to be true? Is the appeal to your character and sense of right, or to your gratification and sense of might?

When confronted with a pleasure, I try to take that time, and I try to consider the right balance of my own living, such that I am wary of paying too much later for a pittance right now. The right rewards of life are clear to us if we only keep focused on a love of what is true and good.

My old chums, Marillion, can come to my aid once again. In their song "The Uninvited Guest", they warn us that some of our rash decisions come with too high a price. Once I’ve let the temptation over my threshold, it is often to hard to force it back out:

I was there when you said insincere "I love you's"
To a woman who wasn't your wife
And I fronted you the money
That you ran away and blew
On the biggest regret of your life

Written in 9/2002

Image: Johannes Vermeer, Woman Holding a Balance (1664)



No comments:

Post a Comment