The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Seneca, On the Happy Life 9: Beyond Fear and Desire



. . . If you choose to pursue this digression further, you can put this same idea into many other forms, without impairing or weakening the meaning.

For what prevents our saying that a happy life consists in a mind which is free, upright, undaunted, and steadfast, beyond the influence of fear or desire, which thinks nothing good except honor, and nothing bad except blame, and regards everything else as a mass of mean details which can neither add anything to nor take anything away from the happiness of life, but which come and go without either increasing or diminishing the highest good?

A man of these principles, whether he wills it or not, must be accompanied by a continual cheerfulness, a high happiness, which comes indeed from on high because he delights in what he has, and desires no greater pleasures than those which his home affords.

Is he not right in allowing these to turn the scale against petty, ridiculous and short-lived movements of his wretched body? On the day on which he becomes proof against pleasure he also becomes proof against pain.

See, on the other hand, how evil and guilty a slavery the man is forced to serve who is dominated in turn by pleasures and pains, those most untrustworthy and passionate of masters. . . .

—Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 4 (tr Stewart)

I need only reflect on how much of my life has been foolishly determined by fear and desire, in avoiding pain and in seeking pleasure, to recognize the root of my weakness. It is not the feelings of pleasure and pain that are flawed in themselves, but rather allowing myself to be ruled by them. The Stoic does not deny his passions, but he understands how to put them in their proper place. Being steadfast proceeds not from brute strength, or from any heartless indifference, but simply from learning to care more for what is superior, and less for what is inferior.

It is my own estimation that will make all the difference. We are surely all familiar with that liberating sense, when we hardly desire something that we know is bad for us, and we hardly fear something that we know can never hurt us. I am not drawn to accumulating many possessions, or seeking the company of untrustworthy people, because I know there is nothing good in them. I have learned not to fear being alone, because I know I always have myself.

I must apply that same standard to anything and everything that is part of my circumstances. I have no power over them, and should therefore hardly worry about their coming and going. I do have power over my own judgments, values, and choices, and I can remember that my own good rests only in the exercise of my character. Pleasure and pain will be as they will be, but the effect they may have depends only upon how much I care for them.

Becoming upright in my own principles is the source of my freedom from hurt and want, which in turn yields the fruits of joy and cheerfulness. I have known many people who struggle to be good, and who are sometimes angry or dissatisfied with their failures; I have often counted myself as such a man. I have, however, yet to meet someone who has rightly made the Stoic Turn who does not also display the deepest contentment under all types of conditions. This is not because he is oblivious to pleasure and pain, but because he has learned to gauge their meaning and importance.

The slavery that follows from being mastered by our passions is only a servitude of our own choices, and we are, in turn, the only sources of our own emancipation. 

Written in 6/2009

Image: Leonardo da Vinci, Allegory of Pleasure and Pain (c. 1480) 



No comments:

Post a Comment