The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Seneca, On the Happy Life 5: To Take a Stoic Turn



. . . He will say, "Whatever I have hitherto done I wish were undone. When I think over what I have said, I envy dumb people. Whatever I have longed for seems to have been what my enemies would pray to befall me.

“Good heaven, how far more endurable what I have feared seems to be than what I have lusted after. I have been at enmity with many men, and have changed my dislike of them into friendship, if friendship can exist between bad men: yet I have not yet become reconciled to myself.

“I have striven with all my strength to raise myself above the common herd, and to make myself remarkable for some talent. What have I effected except to make myself a mark for the arrows of my enemies, and show those who hate me where to wound me?

“Do you see those who praise your eloquence, who covet your wealth, who court your favor, or who vaunt your power? All these either are, or, which comes to the same thing, may be your enemies. The number of those who envy you is as great as that of those who admire you; why do I not rather seek for some good thing that I can use and feel, not one that I can show?

“These good things which men gaze at in wonder, which they crowd to see, which one points out to another with speechless admiration, are outwardly brilliant, but within are miseries to those who possess them.”

— Seneca the Younger, On the happy life, Chapter 2 (tr Stewart)

What begins to happen when I look past everything that is extraneous to only the things that are essential? I won’t just see myself and my world from a slightly different angle, but in many cases I will actually begin seeing it in a completely opposite manner.

Once I consider my happiness through my nature, and not from my circumstances, so many aspects of the good and the bad will be flipped in my judgment. The things I once desired become repugnant, and what I was once proud of is now a source of shame. The goal is no longer about providing more for myself, but rather making more of myself, not appearing good, but rather being good, and not ruling the world, but ruling my own attitude about the world. The shift is starting to think from the inside out, instead of from the outside in.

I have myself found no clearer instance of this than our estimation of friends. As soon as I acquire friends because of what they will do for me, such a relationship is entirely relative and changeable. The difference between a friend and an enemy will become as razor thin as the perception of convenience or inconvenience. I believe Seneca is quite right to question whether friendship can even exist between bad men, for in one sense, everyone is an enemy, someone waiting to be used or opposed, to be treated as a means and never as an end.

I once knew a fellow who had been married three times, and he was quite proud of the fact that the third was a charm. He was happy to explain that he had figured out, through the experience of the first two wives, how to speak and act in following the path of least resistance, and to receive what he expected. His proof of this was the first two wives hadn’t lasted very long, but the he was now approaching a major anniversary with the last one. “I won’t marry again if this one turns out not to work after all,” he said. “It just won’t be worth it for me.”

I was prudent enough to bite my tongue, but I understood his thinking entirely, as I had seen it so often before. The third wife had indeed lasted the longest, but this was proof of nothing other than that she had pleased him the longest. If she ceased to please him, then that relationship would also be over; she would become as mocked and ridiculed as her predecessors. For now, however, she and her children would be the perfect family on all the holiday cards and vacation photos.

I know I am on the right path with the Stoic Turn when I understand that desiring everything praised and admired on the outside will be the death of me on the inside. It isn’t the many things in this world, all of them beautiful in themselves, or the many people I will meet, all of them worthy of love in themselves, that are the problem, but the manner in which I approach them that will make all the difference. As soon as I define myself by what I possess and control, I have enslaved my character to appearance and utility. 

Written in 4/2007

Image: Georges Rouget, Marriage of Napoleon I and Marie Louise (1810) 



No comments:

Post a Comment