The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Musonius Rufus, Lectures 16.2


“Now then, take this case. If a father who is not a physician and not experienced in matters of health or sickness should prescribe for his invalid son something which was harmful and injurious, and the son was aware of that fact, surely in not following his father's prescription he is not disobeying and is not disobedient, is he? It would not seem so.

“Or again, suppose the father himself were ill and should demand wine and food which he ought not to have, and which probably would aggravate his illness if he took it, and his son, realizing this, would not give it to him, surely he is not disobeying his father, is he? Certainly, one cannot think so.”

Far too often we assume a tension between what others ask us to do and what we want to do, between obedience and self-expression, between following authority and following ourselves.

It is only my own ignorance, however, that has ever made me think that these aspects need to be in opposition to one another. Our obligations to Nature are always in harmony, whether we discern them from outside of us or from inside of us.

Whatever the source of the duty may be, what inherently makes it a duty is that it is in the service of what is right.

Where could there ever be a responsibility to do myself harm? How might I possibly be required to permit another to come to harm? If I correctly understand what is beneficial to all who share in human nature, I will not let myself be confused by any supposed conflicts of interest.

“I feel bad that I treated you unfairly, but the boss said I had to do it.” The wishes of my boss, whatever his status or title, do not take any precedence over justice.

“I’m sorry I didn’t show you the respect you deserve, but I had to follow my conscience.” If I was actually following an informed conscience, then that would have included giving everyone proper respect.

And an informed conscience is really the key, isn’t it? If I am certain I am following virtue, then I am also being obedient to the all of the right people, in all of the best ways.

If I am not certain about what I should be doing, then it might be best to follow the guidance of someone else who has already given every indication of understanding.

In either case, one and same duty is being served.

I have no obligation to take poison as a medicine, whoever might tell me to do so, and I have no obligation to give anyone at all something that will do him harm. No one is ever dishonored by pursuing the good.

Written in 3/2000

No comments:

Post a Comment