The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.17


That all care is to be cast upon God

1. "My Son, suffer Me to do with you what I will; I know what is expedient for you.You think as a man, in many things you judge as human affection persuades you."

2. Lord, what You say is true. Greater is Your care for me than all the care that I am able to take for myself. For too insecurely does he stand who casts not all his care upon You. Lord, so long as my will stands right and firm in You, do with me what You will, for whatsoever You shall do with me cannot be anything but good. Blessed be You if You will leave me in darkness. Blessed also be You if You will leave me in light. Blessed be You if You vouchsafe to comfort me, and always blessed be You if You cause me to be troubled.

3. "My Son! Even thus you must stand if you desire to walk with Me. You must be ready alike for suffering or rejoicing. You must be poor and needy as willingly as full and rich."

4. Lord, I will willingly bear for You whatsoever You will have to come upon me. Without choice I will receive from Your hand good and evil, sweet and bitter, joy and sadness, and will give You thanks for all things that shall happen unto me. Keep me from all sin, and I will not fear death nor hell. Only cast me not away for ever, nor blot me out of the book of life. Then no tribulation that shall come upon me shall do me hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment