The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Howard Jones, "The One to Love You"


I always made fun of my father for his corny musical tastes.

"Howard Jones? Really? Universal love and Buddhist harmony? Totally not cool."

He would speak about his own father, who loved Buddy Holly, and how he said much the same thing to the old man, way back then.

Then I had to hear that whole story about a song where the main instrument was a typewriter.

"One day, it will all come together. You won't laugh. You'll cry because you'll know you missed something."

I honor my father now, for his birthday, with a song by one of his heroes.

—bsc

Howard Jones, "The One to Love You", from Transform (2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtFi5sw7MSA

and a pretty decent remix version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h0zO-tHwGE


Of all the people in the world
Why would you choose me


To be like binary stars
Locked in our own gravity

You say these words
But they're lost on me


Up in the air
Float in my misery
 

'Cause I could be the one
To love you

'Cause I could be the one
To care for you
 

I've got to change my heart
See the bigger view

Believe there is a life on Mars
I'd be so good for you


I call out your name
But sound won't travel through space


I take my leap across the void
But I'm lost without trace
 

'Cause I could be the one
To love you

Cause I could be the one
To care for you . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment