The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, July 15, 2019

Tears in Rain


There are all sorts of powerful moments in the history of film, but I do wonder if this one just takes the cake.

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave."

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die."

They say Rutger Hauer improvised the lines, making them far more powerful than they had been written in the script. Apparently half the crew broke out in applause, and the other half broke into tears.

Yup, I still do one, or the other, or both, whenever I see it again over thirty years later.

From Blade Runner, directed by Ridley Scott (1982):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU


No comments:

Post a Comment