The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, July 26, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 11.18.7


. . . Seventh, that it is not men's acts that disturb us, for those acts have their foundation in men's ruling principles, but it is our own opinions that disturb us.

Take away these opinions then, and resolve to dismiss your judgment about an act as if it was something grievous, and your anger is gone.

How then shall you take away these opinions? By reflecting that no wrongful act of another brings shame on you; for unless that which is shameful is alone bad, you also must of necessity do many things wrong, and become a robber and everything else. . . .

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 11.18 (tr Long)

If I can begin to embrace the ethical core of Stoicism, that my own happiness proceeds from my own thoughts and deeds, then I can also begin to embrace its corollary, that the thoughts and deeds of others will only have as much power over me as I choose to give them.

If taken seriously, and applied to all aspects of my life with sincerity and conviction, I become a radically different person than I was before. Even as others will perhaps begin to look at me more and more strangely, I will also find myself able to pass through and over many circumstances I once considered completely insurmountable. I will find peace in ways I did not think at all possible, and I will be able to practice decency where before I could only grapple with fear, rage and disappointment.

That it may at first show itself only in small ways should hardly be a discouragement, since I begin to understand that all the obstacles are only as big or small as I make them out to be in my judgment. I learned quickly that half-measures won’t do here; it’s an all-or-nothing kind of deal. Still, if I work on my own estimation first and foremost, the results can truly fill me with awe and wonder.

I only need to consider how deeply rooted my obsession with outside circumstances has been. He made promises he didn’t keep, or she said she loved me and slept around, or I worked as hard as I could but still found myself poor and alone. The assumption in all of those complaints, and they are really just complaints, is that the world hasn’t treated me as I think I should be treated.

But what does any of that have to do with me? The whole wobbly house of cards collapses when I see the foolishness of defining something, anything at all, by everything other than what it is within itself. A man is a happy or a miserable man because he is a good or a bad man, not because another is a good or a bad man.

I at first assume it is impossible, but I only need to make the conscious decision to change what I value, and then I will no longer be so hurt by what I don’t value. Of course other people matter, and as a social animal I should care deeply about what they do and say, but what they do and say no longer needs to determine my own character. I’m the fellow to do that, and I’m the only one who stands in the way of that judgment.

If I know that it does not make me or break me, I will not choose to let it make me suffer, and if I do not let it make me suffer, I will not be resentful. If I allow it to shame me, my reactions will be no better than those of the people I complain about.

So I worry that another has wronged me, when all along I should be focusing my efforts on doing what is right from myself. Am I hurt and frustrated when I am deceived, or ridiculed, or abused? My only reasonable response is to work on my own deceiving, or ridiculing, or abusing.

Written in 5/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment