The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 11.18.8


. . . Eighth, consider how much more pain is brought on us by the anger and vexation caused by such acts than by the acts themselves, at which we are angry and vexed. . . .

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 11.18 (tr Long)

A fine Jesuit priest once suggested to me that I try to distinguish between the ideas of pain and suffering. The first was something I felt, he offered, and the second was something I chose for myself.

I didn’t like it at first when he said that, because it made me realize that I was responsible for myself, and that I needed to stop making excuses for being miserable. It reminded me that I was not a passive puppet, but an active man.

“But I’ve been hurt!” Well yes, I will confront many impressions, brought about by many external forces acting upon my body, my instincts, and my passions. They are not what make me, however, and it does not diminish their force at all to say that I can still be a master over them. This is why I have reason, and this is why I have a will.

I have always found emotional pain to be far more imposing than physical pain, but I know that some find quite the reverse to be true. Whatever it is that may cut us the deepest, the sensation can seem overwhelming. What can I possibly do to face it?

It isn’t of me, and it didn’t come from me. Now let me manage myself.

Have my passions been offended? Then I should not deny what I feel, but make sense of what I feel, and put that to good use. I am not merely a thing moved, but a mover of my own actions. Let me take the rejection, the loneliness, the despair, and transform myself with it. Let me become better through it.

Has my body been hurt? Then I should not deny what I feel, but make sense of what I feel, and put that to good use. I am not merely a thing moved, but a mover of my own actions. Let me take the grinding of the bones, the weakness of the flesh, the agony that runs through me, and transform myself with it. Let me become better through it.

A medical doctor I knew got quite indignant when I once quoted Ovid:

Endure and persist; this pain will one day do good for you.

“You wouldn’t say that if you’d ever felt real pain,” he said, “like I see with my real patients.”

Now I instinctively wanted to slug him right there, because he thought I didn’t know what real pain was. Perhaps I could show him? Those were my passions speaking, of course, and I managed to tame them after a moment.

What was really most disturbing about his claim was that he reduced people to objects of feeling, and could not conceive of elevating them to creatures of choice. He saw a bag of flesh, not a mind and a heart.

Any pain is so much less than any suffering. The one is given to us, and the other we give to ourselves. The one is within our power, and the other is the surrender of our power. The former is horribly magnified by the latter.

Written in 5/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment