The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 9.42.2



. . . Consider whether you should not rather blame yourself, because you did not expect such a man to err in such a way. For you had means given you by your reason to suppose that it was likely that he would commit this error, and yet you have forgotten and are amazed that he has erred.

But most of all when you blame a man as faithless or ungrateful, turn to yourself. For the fault is manifestly your own, whether you did trust that a man who had such a disposition would keep his promise, or when conferring your kindness you did not confer it absolutely, nor yet in such way as to have received from your very act all the profit.

For what more do you want when you have done a man a service? Are you not content that you have done something conformable to your nature, and do you seek to be paid for it?

It is just as if the eye demanded a recompense for seeing, or the feet for walking. For as these members are formed for a particular purpose, and by working according to their several constitutions obtain what is their own, so also as man is formed by Nature to acts of benevolence. When he has done anything benevolent or in any other way conducive to the common interest, he has acted conformably to his constitution, and he gets what is his own.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 9.42 (tr Long)

If, as a child, I chose to associate with those of my peers who mocked, ridiculed, and bullied one another, should I not have expected that I would then find myself sad, discouraged, and alone? Even at such a tender age, I could have seen immediately what I was getting into.

“The friends you choose reflect who you are,” my betters told me, and I didn’t pay enough attention to that. It wasn’t the fault of spoiled and vicious children, but of my own foolishness. They would be who they would be, but I made myself miserable.

If, as a young man, I chose to fall deeply in love with a girl who was dishonest, disloyal, and dismissive from the very beginning, should I not have expected a broken heart? Even though I was fired up by passion, I could have seen immediately what I was getting into.

“Find a kind woman, however humble she may seem, knowing that you can trust her,” my betters told me, and I didn’t pay enough attention to that. It wasn’t the fault of someone whose blood ran cold, but of my own choice not to think clearly. She would be who she would be, but I had dug my own grave.

If, as a grown man, I chose to follow a professional path filled with poseurs and players, should I not have expected to fail when I tried to engage them on their terms? Even as I told myself I was driven by principles, I was really just being a submissive follower.

“Don’t worry whether your trade makes you rich in money or fame, but worry whether your trade makes you rich in happiness and character,” my betters told me, and I didn’t pay enough attention to that. It wasn’t the fault of manipulators, but of letting myself be manipulated. They would be who they would be, but I painted myself into a corner.

If others act so poorly, it is so easy to blame them for my own loss; yet who they are is nothing I have any control over, even as I have complete control over myself. The finger is pointed in entirely the wrong direction.

My error lies in expecting something beyond my own excellence, to make my dignity depend upon some reward beyond living well for its own sake. Does the approval of friends, or conquest in romance, or success in any career make me any better? Not in the least. I am better by what I have done rightly, within itself, asking for nothing other than that as the most perfect reward.

As soon as I worked to be liked, loved, or important in the world, I was working against myself.

Eyes are made for seeing, and feet are made for walking, and men are made for virtue. This is apparent by simply examining the essence of what these parts are, revealing their purpose within the whole. Let a foot be a foot, and a man be a man. That is all that is required.

Written in 12/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment