The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 9.29.1


The Universal Cause is like a winter torrent: it carries everything along with it.

But how worthless are all these poor people who are engaged in matters political, and, as they do, are playing the philosopher! All drivelers.

Well then, man: do what Nature now requires. Set yourself in motion, if it is in your power, and do not look about you to see if any one will observe it; nor yet expect Plato's Republic, but be content if the smallest thing goes on well, and consider such an event to be no small matter. . . .

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 9.29 (tr Long)

If I think I will somehow have it only my own way, I must learn that I never will.

It isn’t just about me, it was never just about me, and it will never be just about me.

Now I understand that this might feel like a horrible put-down, one of the usual sort of insults, minus any of the foul language or clever superiority. It feels a bit like when someone tells me that I’m worthless.

But see, one of these things is not like the other. It is no insult to tell any man that he is not the center of the Universe; one actually does him a favor by reminding him of the fact.

It isn’t that you and I are worthless at all, but rather that we misunderstand our worth.

I consider myself like one single snowflake, a part of a great winter storm. How long will I last? It hardly matters in the bigger scheme of things. God makes the storm. God is the storm. Do I melt away? Yes. But I melt away with a vengeance, because all of it would never have happened without me, or the countless others.

Now look at the fancy folks. They are just snowflakes too, but they think they are the storm. See how they posture and preen. They go about, tossed by the winds, while claiming that they determine the winds.

“I made this. I will fix this. I am better than you. I know what is right. I will tell you what to do.”

Does that sound too familiar? We have all heard it.

Philosophy, according to Nature, is a man seeking to understand himself and his world. Philosophy, according to the sinister players, is a man seeking to elevate himself and to manipulate his world.

Some people want big results, for the least effort. They strut about, and they say big things, but they actually do no good at all. They act for their own glory.

And other people commit their lives to the smallest things, never expecting impressive gains. No one sees what they do, and yet they show unconditional love all the same. They act for the glory of what is right and true.

No, the humble people who get the job of life done are hardly noticed. The humble die, and the vain folks look the other way. The vain folks die, and they expect to be given a parade.

Let them have their parades. Better for us to stick with having a conscience.

None of us are the storm. We are all snowflakes, but that is still no small matter. 

Written in 11/2008 

No comments:

Post a Comment