The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 9.28.1


The periodic movements of the Universe are the same, up and down from age to age.

And either the Universal Intelligence puts itself in motion for every separate effect, and if this is so, be content with that which is the result of its activity; or it puts itself in motion once, and everything else comes by way of sequence in a manner; or indivisible elements are the origin of all things.

In a word, if there is a God, all is well; and if chance rules, do not you also be governed by it. . . .

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 9.28 (tr Long)

Even the very idea of God, let alone the reality, makes some of us deeply uncomfortable. I understand completely, as there have been times when the thought of what is Absolute has made me cringe. I see so many people use it as an excuse for their own games of power, as an expression of the deepest hypocrisy, or as a way to put themselves in the place of what they claim to revere.

A few decades working for some of the scoundrels running the Catholic Church will certainly do that to any man.

I have found my own manner of coming to terms with this, of recognizing the difference between a holy man and a charlatan. Just as I do not reject the force of law because of an abusive cop, I do not reject God because of those who make a mockery of Him. My reason always reminds me that nothing comes from nothing, and that all purpose and order requires Intelligence.

Is that still not enough? No need for worry. God does not abandon what He has made simply because we question Him. The Divine is not subject to the same weaknesses as men.

Do you wonder if there really is a Universal Intelligence? In one sense, that is quite good. You are thinking for yourself, not being a simpering follower. You are not simply willing to accept some Big Man in the Sky, a greater version of the bullies and bosses we run into every day. If you imagine God that way, you are quite right to see it all as a cheap excuse.

No, I suggest, try to think of it more deeply. Recognize, as most every tradition of wisdom has for all of human time, that the Divine is not a power; the Divine is power, it is being, it is unity, it is goodness, and it is truth. It is everything, and nothing exists separate from it.

Let us imagine, however, for the sake of argument, that there is no God. Would it make any difference in practice about what makes the fulfillment of our own human nature good?

Perhaps God is the direct cause of each and every thing, at each and every moment, and so that tells me that my life is not in vain.

Perhaps God only got it all started, and lets it run itself, but that would still have the same effect.

Perhaps it all just boils down to how the parts of the world behave according to their own natures, but there would still be that very meaning behind it all.

Perhaps, just maybe, it’s all a game of chance. Even then, my own reason would ask me not to be subject to chance, but to rule myself with my mind, though there might be no greater Mind ruling me.

Let us bracket these profound questions if we must, but let us not neglect the immediacy of daily living. Whether or not there is a God, or whether or not there is an ultimate design, does it mean that you and I, as creatures of reason and of will, should cease knowing the truth and loving the good? Should we show any less compassion for our neighbors, however we may conceive of God? Should we reject the calling of our own hearts to live in justice, because we have been burned once too often?

A student of mine was once mistakenly worried that I thought less of her, because she didn’t have the faith she somehow thought I had. I reminded her that faith isn’t unreasonable at all, but rather accords with reason. More importantly, I suggested that we might not always see everything as it is, but we can still strive to be all that we are made to be.

As I always like to say, your mileage will vary. I look forward to a time when we manage to figure it out. 

Written in 11/2008 

No comments:

Post a Comment