The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, April 26, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 9.41



Epicurus says, “In my sickness my conversation was not about my bodily sufferings, nor,” says he, “did I talk on such subjects to those who visited me; but I continued to discourse on the nature of things as before, keeping to this main point, how the mind, while participating in such movements as go on in the poor flesh, shall be free from perturbations and maintain its proper good.”

“Nor did I,” he says, “give the physicians an opportunity of putting on solemn looks, as if they were doing something great, but my life went on well and happily.”

Do, then, the same that he did both in sickness, if you are sick, and in any other circumstances. For never to desert philosophy in any events that may befall us, nor to hold trifling talks either with an ignorant man or with one unacquainted with Nature, is a principle of all schools of philosophy; but to be intent only on that which you are now doing and on the instrument by which you do it.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 9.41 (tr Long)

How absolutely wonderful!

Philosophers of different schools often seem to find great pleasure in bickering with one another about the pettiest of distinctions. In fact, philosophers of the very same school seem to do this even more, condemning those who should be their dearest friends, with all the spite they can muster.

What does that tell us about their real values, and their real intentions?

Yet here we have Marcus Aurelius, a follower of the school of Stoicism, finding merit in the words of Epicurus, the founder of Stoicism’s greatest rival school. The man shows that he is truly a man, not a posturing ideologue; truth is truth, wherever it may be found, and charity is charity, whoever we may meet. I find that example deeply inspiring.

Marcus Aurelius and Epicurus may disagree on the order and priority of virtue and pleasure, or on the specific forces by which Nature operates, but they find common ground on how the good life will be able to rise above all the diversions of circumstance.

What may come my way? I may feel taken down by pain, or lifted up by pleasure, or concerned with my health and appearance, or anxious about my possessions, or in fear of my enemies, or desperate to satisfy my friends. Different situations will come to me at different times, in new and surprising ways, often when least expected. One impression after another will dance before me, and each will exert a pull on my attention.

What may I be tempted to do? I may wish to reach out and define myself by each of these events. I may want to make absolutely everything about what is merely something, using those that I consider convenient as a means to glorify myself, and those that I consider inconvenient as a means to cast blame on the world. Sometimes I will try to brag and strut about, and sometimes I will try to complain and play the victim. I may want to be a player, but I am really only letting myself be played.

What should I actually be doing? I should be accepting the things that happen to me for what they are, however beneficial or harmful they may appear, and direct my efforts to the purpose of what I, in turn, can choose to do. Anything right or wrong in it will only follow from my own understanding of what is true and my own love of what is good. I will only be confused or led astray by what I decide is important. A focused mind will live with suffering, and disease, and poverty, and loneliness, and pettiness, but it will not be determined by these states.

Please do not confuse this with any sort of heartless or dismissive toughness; it is rather a peace and tranquility that comes from being able to distinguish what is more important from what is less important.

Though we may hardly notice it if we wander into the halls of academia, philosophy is a far more noble, uplifting, and absolutely necessary vocation than merely presenting an image, or manipulating conditions, or coming across as the victor in some conflict. What all true philosophers share in common is also what all good people share in common, an absolute dedication to living well above all else, never permitting lower distractions from interfering with this higher calling.

Written in 12/2008

No comments:

Post a Comment