The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.40


That man has no good in himself, and nothing whereof to glory

1. Lord, what is man that You are mindful of him, or the son of man that You visit him? What has man deserved, that You should bestow Your favor upon him? Lord, what cause can I have of complaint, if You forsake me? Or what can I justly allege, if You refuse to hear my petition? Of a truth, this I may truly think and say, Lord, I am nothing, I have nothing that is good of myself, but I fall short in all things, and ever tend unto nothing. And unless I am helped by You and inwardly supported, I become altogether lukewarm and reckless.

2. But You, O Lord, are always the same, and endure forever, always good, righteous, and holy; doing all things well, righteously, and holily, and disposing all in Your wisdom. But I who am more ready to go forward than backward, never continue in one stay, because changes sevenfold pass over me. Yet it quickly becomes better when it so pleases You, and You put forth Your hand to help me; because You alone can aid without help of man, and can so strengthen me that my countenance shall be no more changed, but my heart shall be turned to You, and rest in You alone.

3. Wherefore, if I but knew well how to reject all human consolations, whether for the sake of gaining devotion, or because of the necessity by which I was compelled to seek You, seeing there is no man who can comfort me; then could I worthily trust in Your grace, and rejoice in the gift of new consolation.

4. Thanks be to You, from whom all comes, whensoever it goes well with me! But I am vanity and nothing in Your sight, a man inconstant and weak. What then have I whereof to glory, or why do I long to be held in honor? Is it not for nothing? This also is utterly vain. Verily, vainglory is an evil plague, the greatest of vanities, because it draws us away from the true glory, and robs us of heavenly grace. For while a man pleases himself, he displeases You; while he gapes after the praises of man, he is deprived of true virtues.

5. But true glory and holy rejoicing lie in glorying in You and not in self; in rejoicing in Your Name, not in our own virtue; in not taking delight in any creature, save only for Your sake. Let Your Name, not mine be praised; let Your work, not mine be magnified; let Your holy Name be blessed, but to me let nothing be given of the praises of men. You are my glory, You are the joy of my heart. In You will I make my boast and be glad all the day long, but for myself let me not glory save only in my infirmities. 

6. Let the Jews seek the honor which comes from one another; but I will ask for that which comes from God only. Truly all human glory, all temporal honor, all worldly exultation, compared to Your eternal glory, is but vanity and folly. O God my Truth and my Mercy, Blessed Trinity, to You alone be all praise, honor, power, and glory for ever and for ever. Amen.

IMAGE: Leonardo Da Vinci, St. John the Baptist (c. 1516)



No comments:

Post a Comment