The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Seneca, Moral Letters 19.9


"What," you say, "do not kindnesses establish friendships?" 

 

They do, if one has had the privilege of choosing those who are to receive them, and if they are placed judiciously, instead of being scattered broadcast.

 

Therefore, while you are beginning to call your mind your own, meantime apply this maxim of the wise: consider that it is more important who receives a thing, than what it is he receives. Farewell. 


—from Seneca, Moral Letters 19


Whenever I find myself in pain and distress because I have loved, I must remember that love itself is never to blame, but rather a misguided thinking behind my commitment.

 

Why have I bound myself to the life of another? I often do so for the wrong reasons, hoping more to receive than to give. To whom have I offered my trust? I often devote myself to the wrong people, cooperating more with vice than with virtue. 

 

Love is more than a feeling of affection—love is a choice. The truth of the awareness inspiring that love will determine whether it becomes a blessing or a curse. 

 

I must freely offer my good will to all, for we share in a common nature and a common end, and yet the act of genuine friendship is a deeper and more sacred promise, where two persons become as one, and the good of the other is directly interchangeable with the good of the self. I may broadly speak of those who provide convenience or pleasure as friends, when I should rightly consider perfect friendship to be an unconditional guarantee. 

 

Such an intimate association should never be taken lightly, and so the wise man will pick his friends with great discrimination. To those who are accustomed to acting without sober judgment, this may come across as snobbish and aloof, though it actually reflects a profound sense of personal responsibility. Will we be helping one another to become better, or will we be tempting one another to become worse? 

 

I have failed in this by surrounding myself with people of much wit and charm, but very little character and conviction. I did a lasting harm by falling in love with a woman whose ambitions were sadly divorced from a conscience. As easy as it might be to find fault with what others do, they will live as they think is best. More difficult, though also far more fulfilling, is the acceptance that the fault is in my own estimation, and a willingness to improve by seeking out companions of quality. 

 

Look before you leap. Give less consideration to the worldly standards of utility and gratification, and pay greater heed to the inner calling of human nature, which points us to a unity of moral purpose, whatever else our differences might be. 

 

Birds of a feather will flock together. Be willing to join with a friend completely, as long as that friendship is informed by a mutual appreciation of meaning and value. When you are trying to do the right thing, there can be no real alliance with someone trying to do the self-serving thing.

—Reflection written in 8/2012


 

5 comments:

  1. Isn't pain and suffering to be expected in love? That sort of seems to be part of the commitment.

    I suppose suffering with someone and suffering because of someone are two different things though. Someone you love getting cancer is a different kind of pain than someone you love stabbing you in the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feeling can only make sense through the thinking, pleasure or pain exist in the context of virtue or vice. Even being stabbed can be turned to good, though that wouldn't justify going about and doing the stabbing.

      Perhaps you remember the old Thomist principle in ethics: always be willing to bear an evil, but never be willing to commit one.

      Delete
    2. I've now spent a good chunk of the morning evaluating all my friendships, so thank you for that, lol.

      So we're talking more about how your friendships influence how you see worth (or don't see worth) in suffering and in what is good. Don't be careful in who you love so much as be careful in who you let form you, who you spend time with. Who you love in a specific way.

      Sound closer to the mark?

      Delete
    3. Perhaps a way to say it is that we're called to love everyone, since to love is to desire the good for another, though we aren't called to be friends with just anyone, because that association is one where the support must absolutely go both ways. There won't be a friendship where virtue is not freely held in common.

      Delete
  2. Friendship (philia) necessarily includes vulnerability of your person to be itself, while love (agape) requires investment and effort to be itself, but not vulnerability. At least, not in that intimate way.

    John 15:14 ("you are my friends if you do as I command"...I had to look up the actual verse because I'm not actually that cool) comes to mind with this conversation for whatever reason. I'm still teasing out why, but being oriented towards virtue, a shared virtue, seems to be a very large part of it.


    ReplyDelete