The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, November 27, 2020

Epictetus, Golden Sayings 131


Wherefore a good man and true, bearing in mind who he is and where he came and from whom he sprang, cares only how he may fill his post with due discipline and obedience to God.

Do You wish that I continue to live? Then will I live, as one that is free and noble, as You would have me. For You have made me free from hindrance in what appertains to me. 

But have You no further need of me? I thank You! Up to this hour have I stayed for Your sake and none other's: and now in obedience to You I depart.

"How do you depart?"

Again I say, as You would have me; as one that is free, as Your servant, as one whose ear is open unto what You do enjoin, what You do forbid.



No comments:

Post a Comment