The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, November 23, 2020

Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ 3.23


Of four things which bring great peace

1. "My Son, now will I teach you the way of peace and of true liberty."

2. Do, O my Lord, as You  say, for this is pleasing unto me to hear.

3. "Strive, My Son, to do another's will rather than your own. Choose always to have less rather than more. Seek always after the lowest place, and to be subject to all. Wish always and pray that the will of God be fulfilled in you. Behold, such a man as this enters into the inheritance of peace and quietness."

4. O my Lord, this Your short discourse has in itself much of perfectness. It is short in words but full of meaning, and abundant in fruit. For if it were possible that I should fully keep it, disturbance would not so easily arise within me. For as often as I feel myself disquieted and weighed down, I find myself to have gone back from this teaching. But You, Who are Almighty, and always loves progress in the soul, vouchsafe more grace, that I may be enabled to fulfill Your exhortation, and work out my salvation.

A PRAYER AGAINST EVIL THOUGHTS

5. O Lord my God, be not You far from me, my God, haste You to help me, for many thoughts and great fears have risen up against me, afflicting my soul. How shall I pass through them unhurt? how shall I break through them?

6. "I," says He, "will go before you, and make the crooked places straight." I will open the prison doors, and reveal to you the secret places.

7. Do, Lord, as You say; and let all evil thoughts fly away before Your face. This is my hope and my only comfort, to fly unto You in all tribulation, to hope in You, to call upon You from my heart and patiently wait for Your loving kindness.

A PRAYER FOR ENLIGHTENMENT OF THE MIND

8. Enlighten me, Blessed Jesus, with the brightness of Your inner light, and cast forth all darkness from the habitation of my heart. Restrain my many wandering thoughts, and carry away the temptations which strive to do me hurt. Fight You mightily for me, and drive forth the evil beasts, so call I alluring lusts, that peace may be within Your walls and plenteousness of praise within Your palaces, even in my pure conscience. Command You the winds and the storms, say unto the sea, "Be still," say unto the stormy wind, "Hold your peace," so shall there be a great calm.

9. Oh send forth Your light and Your truth, that they may shine upon the earth; for I am but earth without form and void until You give me light. Pour forth Your grace from above; water my heart with the dew of heaven; give the waters of devotion to water the face of the earth, and cause it to bring forth good and perfect fruit. Lift up my mind which is oppressed with the weight of sins, and raise my whole desire to heavenly things; that having tasted the sweetness of the happiness which is from above, it may take no pleasure in thinking of things of earth.

10. Draw me and deliver me from every unstable comfort of creatures, for no created thing is able to satisfy my desire and to give me comfort. Join me to Yourself by the inseparable bond of love, for You alone are sufficient to him that loves You, and without You all things are vain toys.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment