The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Friday, May 22, 2020

Boethius, The Consolation of Philosophy 4.34


“The other point too arises from like causes, that sometimes sorrows, sometimes the fulfillment of their desires, falls to the wicked.

“As concerns the sorrows, no one is surprised, because all agree that they deserve ill. Their punishments serve both to deter others from crime by fear, and also to amend the lives of those who undergo them.

“Their happiness, on the other hand, serves as a proof to good men of how they should regard good fortune of this nature, which they see often attends upon the dishonest.

“And another thing seems to me to be well arranged: the nature of a man may be so headstrong and rough that lack of wealth may stir him to crime more readily than restrain him; for the disease of such a one Providence prescribes a remedy of stores of patrimony: he may see that his conscience is befouled by sin, he may take account with himself of his fortune, and will perhaps fear lest the loss of this property, of which he enjoys the use, may bring unhappiness. Wherefore he will change his ways, and leave off from ill-doing so long as he fears the loss of his fortune.”

—from Book 4, Prose 6

I am always wary of putting people into separated camps of saints and sinners, since, as Solzhenitsyn said, “The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being.”

Nevertheless, when my own thoughts and actions tend in one direction or the other, then my own nature inevitably becomes richer or poorer, and Providence never fails to offer me the appropriate encouragement or discouragement.

If I am on the wrong path, Providence can act in a variety of ways, some more obvious and some more subtle. However it may unfold, I must try to discern how the circumstances are arranged to provide the best particular opportunities, suited to my own particular situation.

Justice, in this fullest sense, does not operate only by abstract precepts or inflexible rules, but looks deeper into our habits and our motives.

I am equally called to recognizing such patterns when it comes to the wrongdoing of others, always hoping that they are given the chance to improve, just as I would also wish to be given the chance to improve.

When fortune is taken away, whether it be by losing property, or freedom, or reputation, or life and limb, it would seem the most direct and appropriate form of correction. The pain can be a forceful means of retribution, and can serve as a clear deterrent to others. The fear of suffering has a powerful way of making us think twice about our choices.

The danger for me, however, is that I too easily confuse justice with vengeance, replacing the righting of wrongs with the inflicting of further wrongs. Am I seeing the loss as a vehicle for a greater gain, or am I dwelling on taking pleasure in someone else’s hurt?

An opposite course can be just as fitting, though I do not always take kindly to it in the heat of the moment. When an offender grows in fortune, and keeps hold of his ill-gotten gains, he may still be getting his just deserts. His spoils inevitably bring him misery, because they only make his character worse. Those who look on also learn an important lesson, that riches and righteousness do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Take it away, or give me more, it will all ultimately be in the service of what is best. I only need to remember where the true sources of happiness and misery lie, and then I will not be so stubborn in seeing fortune as something worthy in itself.

It may even be that maintaining what I have will help me to acquire virtues that would otherwise be out of reach. In first grade, I once grabbed a friend’s toy I had taken a liking to, and I wouldn’t return it. Instead of complaining to the teacher, he finally told me to keep it. “You want it more than I do.”

I thought I had won, but I was immediately overcome by a powerful sense of guilt and fear. What if someone decided to take away my playthings? How could I enjoy playing with that toy now? Within a day, I gave it back, apologized to him, and the memory of that event still comes over me whenever I am tempted to run away with something that isn’t mine.

Would being sent to the principal’s office have had the same sort of effect, I wonder?

Sometimes we get caught, and we then pay one sort of price. Sometimes we don’t get caught, and we then pay another sort of price. Either way, each offers its own possibility for compensation and redemption. 

Written in 11/2015 


No comments:

Post a Comment