The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Stoic Conversations 1


I have very few friends, but I have come to know very many people. Beginning somewhere in the late 1980's I would write down snippets of conversations I had with folks I happened to know.

I didn't do this to insult them, or to shame them, or to build any leverage against them. I did it to try to make some sense of myself.

I often write things down to help me remember, to help me strengthen good habits, and to help me break bad habits.

The little things we say and do to one another will often speak whole volumes. Often we think that we can say and do things with no consequences, because there is no one important there to hear or to see.

Well, I always listened, and I always watched. There were even a few times when taking a moment to write something down saved me from doing something quite terrible.

* * * * *

 "I don't know what I will do without you in my life. I can't bear a life without you."

"Just do what you always said you'd do. Kill yourself. You will do us all a favor."


No comments:

Post a Comment