The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, August 24, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 11.37


Epictetus also said, a man must discover an art with respect to giving his assent.

And in respect to his movements he must be careful that they be made with regard to circumstances, that they be consistent with social interests, that they have regard to the value of the object.

And as to sensual desire, he should altogether keep away from it.

And as to avoidance, he should not show it with respect to any of the things that are not in our power.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 11.37 (tr Long)

I would often sit and wonder about the secrets of life, about how I could somehow tap into all those profound truths that only the most enlightened of sages could hope to access. The wisdom of it surely must be hidden, I thought, or otherwise so many of us out here in the world wouldn’t be so terribly miserable. It had to be arcane and esoteric, since common sense clearly wasn’t doing it for the rest of us.

Take a ride home on the subway during rush hour, and you will immediately see the plight of man. If he could, he would certainly do better than this. If it were within his power, he would find a way out of this.

But it is well within my power, and it demands no initiation into mysteries. I have not failed to acquire any cryptic principles of life; I have only overlooked that most basic of rules, that I should look before I leap.

The art of living well is not just reserved for the special folks. Let reason guide over passion, and let understanding give purpose to desire.

Good habits of life come from practice, and good practice comes from action, and good action comes from reflection. It doesn’t require thinking about it for a long time, but rather thinking about it well. Thinking more will rarely help me, while thinking more thoroughly always does. A moment is enough.

When should I say “yes” to anything? When I grasp the actual conditions I am facing, instead of just spouting elaborate principles and platitudes. Grandstanding will not do. Let my values serve the actual situation. Does it make me a better man, or only a richer, more gratified, or more popular man?

By what measure should I decide what to do? When I show love to others, to all others, and without any exception to that requirement. Must someone else be abandoned, rejected, or cast aside? Then I am choosing poorly. It amazes me how many people say they have done right, while at same time doing wrong to others.

How should I face my passions? Let me by all means enjoy life, but let me not be ruled by my enjoyment. Am I doing it only because it is fun? There is that very leaping, all without the looking. There is action, divorced from thought. There is desire, separated from responsibility.

Are there things I should avoid? Yes, but not the things I usually think of as harmful to me. If they have nothing to do with what I can make better from my own character, I am called to let them be. I will not run away from your mockery, or your abuse, or your hatred. Do what you must; I will do what I must do to improve myself.

None of these values are special, or secret, or obscure. They come from looking at a human being the right way up, with mind giving order to the body, the higher directing the lower.

Being crammed into the subway train isn’t even the problem. Making something of myself, by building the habit of conscience, is the solution. 

Written in 7/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment