The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 11.26


In the writings of the Ephesians there was this precept, constantly to think of some one of the men of former times who practiced virtue.

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 11.26 (tr Long)

When I was younger, my heroes were usually those who impressed me with their style, their wit, or their charm. As the years have passed, I find myself instead drawn to those who move me with their courage, their wisdom, or their character. It was necessary for me to learn something of the difference.

A few decades in education led me to a similar change of perspective. Despite so many claims to the contrary, we treat education as a primarily passive affair, where understanding involves mouthing the right words, imposed by memorizing a certain set of rules. What is so desperately needed is recognizing that learning is built by doing, and that teaching is most effective through example.

A man does not become better by looking fancy as he gets applause for jumping through hoops. A man becomes better by building his own habits of living well, inspired by seeing others who already practice living well.

This insight has never, of course, been of much use to me if I only treat it as a profound abstraction. After all, if it is only an idea, this defeats the whole purpose of a life embodied in concrete action.

I would often complain that I found it impossible to change my ways, that I wasn’t “strong” enough to do it any other way, that other forces were pushing and pulling me here and there. Taking the advice of the Ephesians to heart can make a world of difference. I can do it quite literally, not just as a theoretical reflection. Then there can be commitment in my will, a spring in my step.

I can focus on an individual who had proven in his life that he was able to walk the walk. Such a person does not need to be famous, because virtue trumps fame. Such a person can have faced struggles similar to my own, helping me quite specifically on my own path. Such a person should be kept consciously in the front of my mind, ready whenever I confront an obstacle.

You can find your own hero. Of all the people I deeply admire, Blessed Franz Jägerstätter became mine. At first he overcame his own restlessness and intemperance, and then he gladly gave his life for his new principles. There is no reason I cannot do the same, because unlike becoming rich and famous, where circumstances rule, my virtue is entirely up to my own choice.

Written in 6/2009



No comments:

Post a Comment