The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 11.5


What is your art? To be good.

And how is this accomplished well, except by general principles, some about the nature of the Universe, and others about the proper constitution of man?

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 11.5 (tr Long)

We admire all sorts of art, ability, skill, expertise, or proficiency in people. We send folks to school for years and years, and we put them through the most rigorous training, all so that they can learn to produce or sell things, and thereby to make themselves more influential over others. We are deeply impressed by those who have the prowess to master their circumstances.

Yet we too often neglect the greatest human power of all, to be masters over ourselves.

I was admittedly never very good at most of the trades and professions I attempted, so I can understand why someone might cry sour grapes. Yet even with the few things I had a slight knack for, like being a loyal and dedicated office gofer, or managing as a halfway competent teacher, or even that occasionally brilliant lick on a mandolin, my heart was never into pursuing these things to make myself look better to others. It seemed just downright wrong.

It always felt deeply uncomfortable to lie, steal, slander, or even look the other way to get what I wanted. I saw others doing it all of the time, but whenever I tried to play that game, I felt sick inside.

The benefit that came to me from all of this was to look elsewhere for a happy life. As much as I might desire riches or fame, shouldn’t I really concern myself with becoming a decent person, first and foremost?

That is the human art, the one we gloss over. What good will any degree, or any job, or any worldly achievement help me, if I have not first struggled to be wise, brave, temperate, and just? For all the preferences I may have, where is my work and effort on making myself better, not just making my situation better?

No refined scholarship is necessary, and no high-powered credentials are required. I only need to take an honest hold of myself, and to consider how I can find my own place within the order of Providence.

Virtue is the greatest human art, and no schooling, or titles, or plays for power will ever give that to me. This is because it cannot be given to me at all, as I can only give it to myself.

By all means, let me be in awe at a man’s ability to get things done. Better, however, to be committed to my own ability to do things right. I must understand that radical difference. True art is measured by its own beauty, not by how much it will fetch at auction.

Written in 4/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment