The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Monday, June 10, 2019

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 10.33.1


What is that which, as to this material of our life, can be done or said in the way most conformable to reason? For whatever this may be, it is in your power to do it or to say it, and do not make excuses that you are hindered.

You will not cease to lament until your mind is in such a condition that what luxury is to those who enjoy pleasure, such shall be to you, in the matter which is subjected and presented to you, the doing of the things which are conformable to man's constitution; for a man ought to consider as an enjoyment everything which it is in his power to do according to his own nature.

And it is in his power everywhere. Now, it is not given to a cylinder to move everywhere by its own motion, nor yet to water nor to fire, nor to anything else which is governed by Nature or an irrational soul, for the things that check them and stand in the way are many.

But intelligence and reason are able to go through everything that opposes them, and in such manner as they are formed by Nature and as they choose. . . .

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 10.33 (tr Long)

Life may appear to be a constant conflict with the world, the struggle to conquer ever more threatening circumstances, an uncertainty about what may or may not come to us. So we live with a crippling anxiety, quite convinced that if we don’t pull the strings just the right way, all of our achievements will be swept away.

Yet the only real opposition I will ever face is from within myself, and it is within my power to rule myself, if only I so choose. A life that follows from understanding, that is in harmony with Nature, and that proceeds from the merit of my own thoughts and deeds, will never have to depend on defeating anyone or anything else. There is nothing that can take my peace and joy away from me, so there is never any reason to blame anyone or anything else.

Some may view Stoicism as a sort of begrudging acceptance, swallowing all the loss and pain, and then simply bearing it with a tough demeanor. This attitude states that I must be miserable, but I should at least be a man about it. I must be proper, even if I’m not going to enjoy it. I have, however, chosen not to see Stoicism in this way.

Being a good man and being happy are not in conflict, but are rather one and the same. Practicing virtue and finding contentment in it are not opposed, but are rather complementary.

This is why Marcus Aurelius suggests that a good man will find the greatest enjoyment in living well, replacing only the outer gratification of the pleasure seeker with the satisfaction of his inner character. I can certainly still expect to enjoy life to the fullest, as long as I am seeking the right things.

This is only possible because of my very nature as a human being. Some creatures, those that are completely inanimate, will only be moved about by what acts upon them. Other creatures, those with sensation and instinct, will move in response to what acts upon them. Yet only creatures gifted with reason can rise above what acts upon them.

Because I can think for myself, and therefore choose for myself, no situation makes me who I am. I will make myself through my judgment of the situation. The very fulfillment of who I am follows directly from what I decide to do with myself.

There are no insurmountable barriers. If human nature is defined by the worth of its own actions, then no events can ever hinder it from choosing, as long it still has the power to choose. This will only make sense when I consider myself in an active sense, not in a passive sense.

“But it hurts!” Yes, it does indeed. Find your pleasure within your own excellence, and then the other pain becomes quite manageable.

“But I am discouraged!” Of course you are. Change the thinking about what you value, and the discouragement will pass.

“But I can’t manage the pressure!” Who told you that you couldn’t? Only those who rely on something other than themselves cannot be happy with themselves.

Written in 3/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment