The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Babe

As a reference for Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 10.28:

You know that fellow, George Miller, who made some of the darkest and most gripping actions films, the Mad Max series? 

He also brought us Babe, one of kindest and most uplifting animal films ever made.

I was not a happy man in 1995. I would often cry out of absolute dejection. This movie instead made me cry for absolute joy. 

If, upon my death, I somehow end up meeting God, and if He decides that I must be judged, I will not ask for some treacly, dramatic, or epic monologue to send me on my way. No trumpet fanfares. no promise of the pearly gates, no threat of the burning pits. I would feel quite content with these simple words:

"That'll do, pig. That'll do."

If you have never seen the movie, you simply must. It doesn't matter if you have children, because it speaks to all ages. 

If I had words to make a day for you
I'd sing you a morning golden and true.
I would make this day last for all time
Then fill the night deep in moonshine.


The lovely final scene from Babe, directed by Chris Noonan (1995):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHmeTeLgMY
 
The great Randy Newman even wrote a song about Babe, for the sadly unappreciated sequel, Babe: Pig in the City, and the brilliant Peter Gabriel sang it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlnGNanlhE

A kind and steady heart can make a grey sky blue
And a task that seems impossible, is quite possible for you
A kind and steady heart, is sure to see you through
It may not seem like very much right now


It'll do, it'll do


When you find yourself in the middle of a storm
And you're tired and cold and wet
And you're looking for a place that's cozy and warm
You'll make it; you can never forget!


A kind and steady heart, can conquer doubt and fear
A little courage goes a long, long way
Gets you a little bit farther down the road each day
And before you know it, you'll hear someone say


"That'll do, Babe, that'll do."


A kind and steady heart, is sure to see you through
A little courage goes a long, long way
Gets you a little bit farther down the road each day
And before you know it, you'll hear someone say


"That'll do, that'll do, that'll do, Babe, that'll do."





No comments:

Post a Comment