The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Epictetus, Golden Sayings 84


When disease and death overtake me, I would gladly be found engaged in the task of liberating my own Will from the assaults of passion, from hindrance, from resentment, from slavery. 

Thus would I gladly to be found employed, so that I may say to God, "Have I in anything transgressed Your commands? Have I in anything perverted the faculties, the senses, the natural principles that You did give me? Have I ever blamed You or found fault with Your administration? 

"When it was Your good pleasure, I fell sick—and so did other men: by my will I consented. Because it was Your pleasure, I became poor: but my heart rejoiced. No power in the State was mine, because You would not give it: such power I never desired! Have You ever seen me of more doleful countenance on that account? Have I not ever drawn close unto You with a cheerful look, waiting upon Your commands, attentive to Your signals? Do You wish that I now depart from the great Assembly of men? I go. I give You all thanks, You that have deemed me worthy to take part with You in this Assembly: to behold Your works, to comprehend this Your administration." 

Such I hope would be the subject of my thoughts, my pen, my study, when death overtakes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment