The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Saturday, December 1, 2018

W.H. Auden, "The More Loving One"


Whenever I enjoy good poetry, which is something I couldn't really manage until fairly recently, I always find that the verses say as much about my own thinking as they do about the thinking of the author. I'd like to think that is the purpose of any decent writing.

When I first read this poem by Auden, I took it as an expression of unrequited romantic love. As time passed, I also saw it in a broader light, reflecting every aspect of how I could relate to my world. Does it matter so much what I am given, or could it perhaps be more important what I choose to give?

I can hardly claim to know what Auden might have meant, and I can't imagine the intention was in any way deliberately Stoic. Still, whenever I read it, the words inspire Stoic thoughts within me.

Written in 4/1999

W.H. Auden,  "The More Loving One"

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us, we could not return?
If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me.


Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total dark sublime,
Though this might take me a little time.


No comments:

Post a Comment