The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations 8.2


On the occasion of every act ask yourself, how is this with respect to me? Shall I repent of it? A little time and I am dead, and all is gone.

What more do I seek, if what I am now doing is the work of an intelligent living being, and a social being, and one who is under the same law with God?

—Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 8 (tr Long)

Looking at the winding narrative depicted on the Column of Marcus Aurelius, telling of the wars he led against Germanic tribes from 166 up until his death in 180, one sees the clashes of great armies deciding the fate of nations. Everything is in sweeping motion, grand in scale, and glorious to behold. The column itself was erected to honor an emperor’s great achievement, and it stands to this day in Rome. Those Romans certainly knew how to think big, to make a powerful impression, and to leave their mark on the world.

How odd and wonderful then that the same man who was so honored wrote the words in the passage above. He reflects upon who he is within himself, contemplating his own end, considering the worth of his own deeds. He doesn’t look to his political power, his economic achievements, or his military victories, but reviews only the content of his character. Has he let reason be his guide, shown his concern for others, and acted in harmony with Providence? What else could truly matter?

I would like to think that Marcus Aurelius had a very different sense of what constituted greatness than most other people of influence and power. The memoirs and diaries of politicians and generals will usually discuss their crucial place in important events, and we might find ourselves disappointed if we read only the humble thoughts of a man just trying to be a good man.

I am still amazed that if we overlook the first book of dedications, almost all the passages in the Meditations give no indication of the status of the author. He could be every man, most any person, and this is because he cuts to the heart of what it means to be human, at the most basic and immediate level.

So I may ask myself, just as he did, whether I have been understanding, loving, and reverent, firm in the knowledge that I don’t really need to ask myself any further questions.

I take it seriously that these are not questions I should only need to ask from time to time, in between all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but rather questions I must constantly keep in mind, for each and every decision and action. They are a way of asking about the very be-all and end-all of my life. I am hardly facing my humanity if I neglect to do this.

I don’t need a glorious column to mark my achievements. I only need a decent soul within. 

Written in 1/2008


No comments:

Post a Comment