The Death of Marcus Aurelius

The Death of Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Stoic Music 5


I fell into what I now call my 'Wilderness Years' for the simple reason that I had loved all the wrong things, and all the wrong people, in entirely the wrong way. 

The Acid Jazz craze of the mid-90's came at exactly the right time to help me out of the doldrums. It was not only something that I could appreciate musically, but in most every case, the lyrics and themes were intended to lift the soul. It was about hope, and love.

 This was the antithesis of grunge. Brooklyn Funk Essentials reworked an old classic by Pharoah Sanders in around 1995. Back when we still had true Acid Jazz clubs in Boston, this was usually the last song played by the DJ. I would wait until last call, and miss my train to hear it. It was always well worth it.

Brooklyn Funk Essentials, "The Creator Has a Master Plan." from Cool and Steady and Easy (1995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkVLS6muw1k

The creator has a master plan
Peace and happiness for every man
The creator has a working plan
Peace and happiness for every man
The creator makes but one demand
Happiness through all the land

Written on 4/14/1997



No comments:

Post a Comment